Even prior to his fight with Jonathan Goulet at UFC 113, Marcus Davis made it known that he hoped to fight at UFC 118 in August when the company heads to Boston. “The Irish Hand Grenade” seemed like a natural fit to fight in Beantown, and it appears that he may be facing Nate Diaz at the event.
Davis spoke exclusively with Inside Fights on Tuesday about the possible match-up.
“My manager has talked to me about it, but I haven’t gotten a contract for it yet,” Davis said. “If it happens it will definitely be a tough one. He’s got range and great BJJ. I will have to keep it standing and train my ass off.”
Davis (17-6) stopped a two-fight losing streak with his win at UFC 113 last Saturday. After working his way up the welterweight ladder, back-to-back losses to Dan Hardy and Ben Saunders had the 36-year-old fighting for his job. Davis changed up his training, incorporating a better diet and no weight work to come into his fights quicker and healthier. The change obviously paid off with a second round TKO win, and now he’s in position to fight in front of his adopted home town.
“To fight in Boston is a dream come true,” Davis said. “If I could fight anywhere, the two places I want to fight are Boston and Ireland.”
The fight is still pending both signatures as well as any fine or suspension Diaz might have to serve due to his involvement in last month’s ugly episode at Strikeforce: Nashville.
Tags: Marcus Davis, Mixed Martial Arts, Nate Diaz, UFC, ufc 118