Tom Selleck got his big break in television with Magnum P.I back in the 1980s. Donnie Wahlberg got his big break as a new singer in the original “boy band”, New Kids on the Block, back in the 1980s. But he has also proven lately that he can act just as well as his more famous acting brother, Mark Wahlberg. The two have combined forces in CBS’ Blue Bloods.
Here is the synopsis of Blue Bloods straight from CBS:
“BLUE BLOODS is a drama about a multi-generational family of cops dedicated to New York City law enforcement. Frank Reagan (Tom Selleck) is the New York Chief of Police and patriarch of the Reagan brood, which he heads as diplomatically as he does the force, even when dealing with the politics that plagued his unapologetically bold father, Henry (Len Cariou), during his stint as Chief. A source of pride and concern for Frank is his eldest son Danny (Donnie Wahlberg), a seasoned detective, family man and Iraqi War vet who on occasion uses dubious tactics to solve cases. The sole Reagan woman in the family, Erin (Bridget Moynahan), is a N.Y. Assistant D.A. and newly single parent, who also serves as the legal compass for her siblings and father. Jamie (Will Estes) is the youngest Reagan, fresh out of Harvard Law and the family’s “golden boy.” However, unable to deny the family tradition, Jamie decided to give up a lucrative future in law and is now a newly minted cop, a career change seemingly supported by his beautiful girlfriend, Sydney Davenport (Dylan Moore), a first year lawyer. Jamie’s life takes an abrupt turn, however, when he’s asked to become part of a clandestine police investigation even his father knows nothing about, and one that could impact the family’s legacy.”
My First 10 Thoughts on the “Pilot” Episode of Blue Bloods:
1. A good mix of a family drama and a cop show.
2. It does have some of the cliched and predictable cop show elements.
3. But then it throws in some family drama stuff that keeps things fresh.
4. Great to see Tom Selleck back on TV.
5. Donnie Wahlberg is also great as the central character.
6. The rest of the cast is also solid.
7. The remix of familiar New York City songs was a nice touch.
8. New York City in general is also a great setting for this type of show since New York City families have a strong
9. In a horrible Friday night timeslot, but there is no competition so could find an audience here.
10. This was one of my favorite new shows from the new season so far. It has a great cast and has the best potential to find an audience and move out of the dead Friday night time slot.