Earlier this week I had the opportunity to attend three screenings for movies opening this weekend. I skipped them all for a few reasons. One, because my collection of books and movies is overpowering my living space. Two, thought I’d take a week off reviewing theatrical releases. And three, because the three major releases (one is a remake, another has three comedic leads looking at birds, and the last is a prequel/remake) didn’t seem worth my time. Judging from the Friday totals and weekend estimates I’m not the only one.
Honestly, are movie executives so transfixed on the ’80s that once they get into their positions they make it a necessity to remake movies of that decade? On top of that they also decide to pair Jack Black and Owen Wilson with Steve Martin to go birdwatching. Huh?
North American audiences seem to be avoiding movies this weekend. They might be better off in taking a stand about the injustice of bad movies and have Operation Movie Theater where they stage sit-ins around the box office. Where have the hardcore must-watch-a-movie-at-the-theater-every-weekend moviegoers gone? Just take a look at Friday’s totals and weekend estimates. Full breakdown coming on Sunday.
1. Footloose (Paramount) NEW [3,549 Theaters]
Friday $5.6M, Estimated Weekend $16.5M
2. Real Steel (DreamWorks/Disney) Week 2 [3,440 Theaters]
Friday $4.4M (-48%), Estimated Weekend $16M, Estimated Cume $51.3M
3. The Thing (Universal) NEW [2,996 Theaters]
Friday $3.2M, Estimated Weekend $9M
4. The Ides Of March (Sony) Week 2 [2,199 Theaters]
Friday $2.2M (-34%), Estimated Weekend $7.5M, Estimated Cume $22.1M
5. Moneyball (Sony) Week 4 [2,840 Theaters]
Friday $1.7M, Estimated Weekend $5.5M, Estimated Cume $57.7M
6. Dolphin Tale (Alcon/Warner Bros) Week 4 [3,286 Theaters]
Friday $1.6M, Estimated Weekend $6.5M, Estimated Cume $59M
7. 50/50 (Summit) Week 3 [2,391 Theaters]
Friday $1.3M, Estimated Weekend $4.1M, Estimated Cume $24.5M
8. The Big Year (Fox) NEW [2,150 Theaters]
Friday $1.1M, Estimated Weekend $3M
9. Courageous (Sony) Week 3 [1,214 Theaters]
Friday $1M, Estimated Weekend $3.3M, Estimated Cume $21.3M
10. Dream House (Universal) Week 3 [2,172 Theaters]
Friday $740K, Estimated Weekend $2.5M, Estimated Cume $18.4M