So, the 9-part Cobra Command arc has begun in the pages of G.I. Joe #9 (Cobra Command – Part One). Its probably clear from the preview pages distributed by IDW that the new Cobra Commander, crowned at the end of Cobra Civil War, makes a huge power play by….
…. taking over a country in Asia, namely Nanzhao, starting with its capital city.
It looks like writer Chuck Dixon has been taking notes from an impontent United Nations in the “real world” with the new Cobra Commander and G.I. Joe sensing that the global community might just waffle in its response to this international incident.
It is a smart takeover because Nanzhao is:
- A totaltarian regime ruled by a dictator.
- A major heroin grower and supplier.
- An insular unaligned country with no dominant or shared ideology or theology.
- A country that has so abused its citizenry, that any new power would be seen by them as better than the last. (Think Egypt: Mubarak being replaced by the Military; see how that turned out?)
- As a result, its a country whose regime is condemned by most countries in the world.
Not only is this a huge power grab, its a strategic one. Well played “new” Cobra Commander, well played.
These aren’t huge spoilers and there is a lot more depth to the issue. G.I. Joe 9 is highly recommended. Kudos to writer Chuck Dixon and artist Alex Cal.
Last two images above from GeneralsJoes. They have great news and reviews of all things G.I. Joe.
Please see my profile below “related articles”.
Please follow me on twitter and kindly friend me at Facebook too.
BabosScribe is the handle.
Tags: Chuck Dixon, Cobra, Cobra Commander, G.I. Joe, Hasbro, IDW, Snake Eyes