Well this looks misleading.
New Girl has developed into a really strong ensemble comedy, and I’m excited to see where it goes before the season concludes. I really enjoyed “Backslide”, and episode that felt like a very, very funny rom-com.
Schmidt’s crotch-area injury provided a lot more laughs, but also some heart. He actually physically passed out from pain because hearing CeCe say that she wanted a real, lasting relationship with him turned him on. CeCe’s grandmother told Schmidt that he’s just what she needs, and it was nice to see another side of CeCe’s life.
Jess was hurting from her breakup with Russell, and instead of drunkenly backsliding with Fancyman, she fell back into bed with her ex Justin Long. It was fun to see them together again, and surprising to discover that her nice guy ex-boyfriend had actually cheated on his girlfriend by sleeping with Jess. Paul’s new girlfriend, Jen, was an Asian Jess. The part where Jess helped him propose was kind of stupid, but I liked everything else. Especially Paul’s ugly-crying, which Jess describes as looking like a slow-motion sneeze.
Jess immediately realized her mistake after sleeping with Paul, but Nick just can’t seem to realize what a terrible mistake he’s making by getting back together with Caroline. The guys even show him a video he’d made after his last breakup, but it’s no use. He decided to move in with her, even though Jess tried to convince him that he wouldn’t be alone because he has her. The implication was that he has her as a friend, one who is in the same boat while Winston and Schmidt are not, but there’s still that lingering chemistry between them. As viewers, we don’t want to see Nick leave the apartment. Of course, I don’t think he really will – not for long, anyway.
And really, if Nick left the loft we viewers would be far more upset about how that would disturb the vibe in the loft. These characters will have to grow up and move on sometime, but not yet. The show isn’t ready for that, and neither are the characters.
The episode was also incredibly funny – I loved all the jokes about Winston’s ridiculous earring and that even Jess got in on that action. What did you guys think?
Favorite quotes & moments:
- Everything about Jess playing “River” on repeat was hilarious, and a nice callback to what a wreck she was in the pilot.
- “I liked it when you played it for the first time at 10 o’clock last night. I liked it a little bit less at 2 a.m., and now I’m kind of hoping that the sun comes up, thaws that river, and that woman drowns.” – Winston
- Schmidt: “Know this, you’re not the only one that’s hurting here, Jessica Day. The economy stinks, bees are dying, movies are pretty much all sequels now, and I-”
Jess: “Don’t say ‘broken penis’.”
Schmidt: “…have a broken penis. Don’t pretend you know my pain!”
- For caution, CeCe had to dress “like a women’s studies major”.
- “Old people freak me out. With their hands and their legs. They’re like the people version of pleated pants.” – Schmidt
- Winston: “I got kind of drunk last night with Joe and got my ear pierced. You know, traditionally the male of the species is more glamorous.”
Schmidt: “When’s it coming out, by the way?”
Winston: “The earring?”
Schmidt: “No, no. The smooth jazz album you’re dropping.”
- “I’m going to miss you, Winston. I’m going to miss you when your caravan moves on to the next village.” – Schmidt
- “You look like you were caught by a fly fisherman.” – Schmidt
Tags: New Girl