With Mark Hunt facing visa issues, Roy Nelson on standby for UFC 160
by Ryan Frederick on May 15, 2013

Due to ongoing visa issues delaying his arrival to the United States for next weekend’s UFC 160 event, Mark Hunt (9-7, 4-1 UFC) may be forced to withdraw from his planned co-main event bout against Junior Dos Santos (15-2, 9-1 UFC) if he is unable to resolve the situation.

Hunt has been unable to depart from his native New Zealand to Las Vegas several times over the last week due to an unidentified arrest in 2002. UFC officials stated on Tuesday’s UFC 160 conference call that they are “confident the issue will be resolved” and that Hunt is still slated to fight Dos Santos next Saturday.

However, a backup plan has been made in the event Hunt is unable to make the trip. MMAFighting.com’s Ariel Helwani reported on UFC Tonight on Tuesday that UFC officials have asked Roy Nelson (19-7, 6-3 UFC) to apply for a license to fight Dos Santos, and he is on the agenda for the Nevada State Athletic Commission’s hearing on Friday clearing the path for Nelson to be on standby to meet Dos Santos.

Nelson and Dos Santos previously fought at UFC 117 in August 2010. Dos Santos took home the win by unanimous decision.

“A stupid misunderstanding, that’s all it is, really. It was something that happened a long time ago, and it should be cleaned up,” said Hunt about the situation during Tuesday’s conference call.



Tags: , , , ,

Related Mixed Martial Arts Articles

more articles »

Dennis Siver Says Conor McGregor's Trash Talk Is Inappropriate

Fabricio Werdum Says Mark Hunt Asked For UFC 180 Match To Be Stopped

Kevin Casey Withdraws From Match Against Vinny Magalhaes, Metamoris Says Open Spot Can Be Filled By Anyone

Dana White Suggests Anderson Silva & Conor McGregor Are Next In Line For Title Shots

Ryan Frederick

view profile »

Featured Poll

Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Recent Comments

Search Pulse

Author:

Zone:

Category: