Kansas City, MO (USA): Rising mixed martial arts (MMA) promotion Global Warrior Challenge (GWC) is thrilled to announce its inaugural MMA event, “THE BRITISH INVASION: U.S. vs. U.K.,” which will take over the Sprint Center in Kansas City, Missouri on Saturday, June 29th. The twelve action-packed fights scheduled feature some of the best fighters from the United States and the United Kingdom who will battle each other in a country versus country format. The first in a series of country versus country events put on by GWC, the main event of this fight card will feature former UFC® Heavyweight Champion Ricco “Suave” Rodriguez, who will try to stop the young and powerful rising star Marcin Lazarz. In the co-main event, 12-year fight veteran Jimmy Ambriz will face off with the likes of UFC® vet Oli Thompson.
There are many other well-known MMA stars competing on this incredible fight card, including Kendall Grove, Drew Fickett, Ivan Salaverry, Jake Heun, L.C. Davis, and many more.
The official press conference and weigh-ins for this event will be held at the Pepper Mill & Co. Restaurant, located in Atchison, Kansas. VIP tickets will be available for those that wish to meet the fighters. This will be a community event for all ages, and open to the public, with tons of food and fun.
“THE BRITISH INVASION: U.S. VS. U.K.” will take place on Saturday, June 29th, live at the Sprint Center in Kansas City, Missouri. Doors will open at 7 PM, and the first bout is scheduled for 7:30 PM. Tickets for this electrifying event are on sale right now throughwww.SprintCenter.com, charge-by-phone at (888) 929-7849, or in-person at the Sprint Center Box Office. Ticket prices are $37, $52, $62, $77, $92, and $102.
This highly-anticipated MMA showdown will be beamed on Pay Per View on cable and satellite in the United States and Canada. The event will be in High Definition, and it will be available in both English and Spanish (where available). “THE BRITISH INVASION: U.S. VS. U.K.” will be distributed live on Pay Per View beginning at 9 PM EST/6 PM PST by Multi Vision Media, Inc. The suggested retail price is $29.95. It will be available in over 80 million households via IN DEMAND, Avail-TVN, DIRECTV, and DISH Network. The Executive Producer of the event is Brian Ricco.
“This rivalry harkens back to the original ringed sport of bareknuckle fighting, and the legends created by its popularity,” commented Ricco. “The fact that the U.S. is facing the U.K. on the fortnight of Independence Day is both a tribute and a challenge to the U.S. We will not only capture these terrific athletes defending their country’s honor, but we will document the first of what will be an incredible television series for generations to enjoy. There is no greater rivalry in sports than the one created over 200 years ago.
“The ability to document this great rivalry is one of great challenge and anticipation,” continued Ricco. “We don’t expect anyone to take a step back. We will be prepared at the opening bell for any quick stoppage or knockout. The rivalry is that fierce.”
Robert Beené, President of GWC Fights, stated, “I am elated to be bringing such a quality MMA show to Kansas City. This inaugural event for GWC Fights has been a lifelong dream. These guys are warriors, and are going to put on one of the best, most competitive and incredible night of fights you have ever witnessed. I am so honored to be the promoter of what I am sure will be an evening of masterful MMA performances.”
Ricco “Suave” Rodriguez (50-19), who recently claimed his 50th MMA victory, brings a wealth of talent and experience to the cage with him. A former UFC® Heavyweight Champion, Rodriguez has battled many of MMA’s top combatants, including Andrei Arlovski, Jeff Monson, Randy Couture (who he beat for the UFC® belt), Tim Sylvia, Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira, Ben Rothwell, Antonio Silva, and Glover Teixeira, amongst others. In addition, “Suave” is a world-renowned grappler, having won the ADCC world championships. Standing across the cage from Rodriguez will be rising Polish star Marcin Lazarz (5-1), who lives and trains in England. Before a recent setback, Lazarz had opened his career with five straight wins, including three stoppages. Now, the powerful Pole has a shot at cementing his place amongst the very best in MMA’s light heavyweight division.
Jimmy “The Titan” Ambriz (17-18) is a fighter’s fighter. Known for his large size and raw power, Ambriz has fought all over the world, competing in well-known organizations such as India’s Super Fight League, DREAM, King of the Cage, and the WEC®, amongst others. During his career, “The Titan” has held the KOTC Super-Heavyweight belt, and holds victories over Dan “The Bull” Bobish, Ruben “Warpath” Villareal, and Eric Prindle. In 36 career bouts, he’s only been to a decision once. In short, he brings excitement to the cage few can match. At “BRITISH INVASION,” Ambriz will face a tall task in fellow UFC® vet Oli Thompson (10-5). A strong finisher, Thompson has stopped his opponent in nine of his ten victories in the cage, and with the opportunity to claim a world-traveled and well-known fighter like Jimmy Ambriz as a victim he will surely lay it all on the line in pursuit of victory.
Also populating the fight card for this exciting event will be several other notable fights, including scraps between former UFC® fighters Drew Fickett (42-19) and
Andre Winner (14-7), MMA pioneer Ivan Salaverry (13-9) and English star Jack Marshman (11-2), and former TUF winner Kendall Grove (17-12) and British star on the rise Valentio Petrescu (12-3).
· Drew Fickett is one of the most experienced fighters amongst the lighter weights of MMA, with over sixty professional fights. He holds victories over well-known fighters such as Josh Koscheck, Kurt Pellegrino, Carlo Prater, Dennis Hallman, Josh Neer, and Kenny Florian.
· A six-time veteran of the UFC®, Andre Winner compiled a 2-4 record in the Octagon®. Since being released from the promotion, the Brit has rebounded, winning two of his last three fights, and will look to continue his surge.
· Another multi-time veteran of the UFC®, Ivan Salaverry made his debut in 1999. Over the last 14 years, the 42 year-old has faced the likes of Akihiro Gono, Andrei Semenov, Matt Lindland, Tony Fryklund, Joe Riggs, Nate Marquardt, Terry Martin, and Rousimar Palhares.
· Veteran British fighter Jack “Hammer” Marshman is another scrapper from across the pond who is known for finishing foes. With 10 stoppages in his 11 victories, Marshman is a danger wherever the fight goes, and at 23 years old, he will look to show his opponent that youth conquers experience.
· “Da Spyda” Kendall Grove grew up in Hawaii, and the 6’6″ middleweight has carved out a name for himself for participating in exciting fights. He won the 3rd season of the UFC® reality show The Ultimate Fighter, and became a mainstay with the promotion. The 13-time UFC® vet defeated fighters such as Ed Herman, Alan Belcher, Evan Tanner, Jake Rosholt, and Goran Reljic while with the promotion, and is looking to climb his way back to the top of the fight world.
· Valentino Petrescu is another ultra-tough English warrior who is looking to make a splash on the global MMA scene. He’s finished his opponents in nine of his 12 wins, and will look to add Kendall Grove to his list of victims.
Other well-known fighters competing at this event include recent TUF competitor Jake Heun (5-2), former UFC® fighter Curt Warburton (12-3), undefeated prospect Max “Power” Nunes (10-0), Bellator®/Strikeforce® vet Mike “300″ Hayes, and former WEC® competitor L.C. Davis (19-5).
For all the latest excitement on “THE BRITISH INVASION: U.S. VS. U.K.” from Global Warrior Challenge, please head tohttp://www.gwcfights.com/.
Tags: Andre Winner, Curt Warburton, Drew Fickett, Kendall Grove, Mixed Martial Arts, Ricco Rodriguez