- No you’re not hallucinating, I’m back and covering Extreme Rules! Here’s hoping I’ll be able to start doing this again more often.
Dolph Ziggler vs Baron Corbin (No Holds Barred Match)
- I’ve always been more of a fan of Baron Corbin than many NXT diehards. Sure there’s a lot of talent coming through NXT, especially during Corbin’s time, but yet he always held his own and had good, big man, “WWE”-style match with whomever he was put into the ring with. I love that his first WWE feud has been with Dolph Ziggler as it’s a great dynamic for both men to succeed and so far it’s been great.
- Though I will say I’ve been singing the praises of Big Cass for years over Corbin. Colin Cassidy SHOULD be the next Kevin Nash while Baron Corbin has the look and size of someone like Psycho Sid… but with athletic ability.
- How great is the Deep Six slam even-though it’s just a side slam?
- I honestly expected a more spectacular End of Days with Ziggler taking the move but the low blow suits Corbin’s character and I like the idea of a guy that big perfectly fine with punching someone in the crotch if it gives him the win.
WINNER: BARON CORBIN
The Usos vs The Club (Karl Anderson & Luke Gallows) – Tornado Tag Team Match
- I’m surprised we’re starting off with a match featuring The Club and 4 guys who are sure to play a part in the main event.
- God I love the tag team division right now though.
- It’s so strange to think that all of these men are in their 30s with only Karl Anderson over the age of 32 (he’s 36). I hope these four are around for a long, long time.
- Terrific PPV debut for Gallows & Anderson. I can’t wait to see them holding the belts.
WINNERS: THE CLUB
Kalisto (c) vs Rusev – United States Championship Match
- Goddammit Rusev has been entertaining lately on his promos, mostly because it seems as if he’s not trying to play a character anymore. That doesn’t mean I enjoy seeing him on the card though. I feel like he’s only in this match for Kalisto to beat ANOTHER bigger guy.
- What the f*** was with the “CM Punk” chant during this match?! Jersey, I know you’re normally proud of being rather ridiculous but this is just stupid. Even most CM Punk fans are over CM Punk right now.
- So is Rusev the United States Champion again so John Cena can beat him again on his Memorial Day return in a week? Ugh…
WINNER AND NEW WWE UNITED STATES CHAMPION: RUSEV
The New Day (c) vs The Vaudevillians – WWE Tag Team Championship Match
- The New Day are expertly pushing the limits of TV PG lately. I’m actually surprised they haven’t been called out on it yet.
- Is this the first PPV match where Xavier Woods has officially been a part of 2-on-2 tag team match with the New Day?
- I don’t think anyone truly BELIEVED that the Vaudevillians would end The New Day’s run but both teams did a great job of making it seem possible.
WINNER AND STILL WWE TAG TEAM CHAMPIONS: THE NEW DAY
The Miz (c) vs Kevin Owens vs Cesaro vs Sami Zayn (WWE Intercontinental Championship) – Fatal Four Way Match
- It’s ridiculous to think that The Miz is a FREAKIN’ 10 YEAR VETERAN! The guy who hosted the Diva Search! That said, adding Maryse to his act has freshened up his character enough for this IC title run.
- WOW… I was lost in the awesomeness of that match. This is EASILY a Match of the Year candidate but I afraid it will be overlooked because of who won. Everyone in that match worked their asses off for a fantastic Intercontinental Championship match. Imagine if this is the prime of The Miz’s and he becomes an anchor in this “New Era”. I’m curious what other people think… has The Miz had a Hall of Fame career?
WINNER AND STILL THE INTERCONTINENTAL CHAMPION: THE MIZ
Dean Ambrose vs Chris Jericho – Asylum Match
- OK, Jericho’s outfit for tonight is one for the highlight reel (no pun intended).
- I believe it was during the Bray Wyatt/Dean Ambrose feud that I first pitched an Ambrose-exclusive match. It just fits his personality so amazingly well and while the look of this match isn’t anything spectacular, it works perfectly for Ambrose’s Asylum.
- “Let’s Go Moppy!”
- Damn, Brian Pillman would have been 54 years old this week? That was a blow.
- I’m impressed with how creative these guys have gotten in this match but the pace feels like a let down after the show-stealing IC title match. I know these guys are main eventers and this is brand new match type but there should have been a little more foresight put into the card order considering the men that were scheduled to be involved in the Fatal Four Way match.
- Thumbtacks?!?!?! In 2016?!?!?! While I LOVED the teases of the tacks, I’m SHOCKED that Jericho actually took the spot. While I’m happy the WWE has become more lenient in these types of situations (obviously), I have no idea where or how this change of philosophy came about. I’m really curious to see how far this goes.
WINNER: DEAN AMBROSE
Charlotte (c) vs Natalya (WWE Women’s Championship) – Submission Match
- This feud with Natalya has been a great sub-feud for Charlotte. I’m sure we all expected Sasha Banks or a debuting Bayley to be Charlotte’s first post-Mania feud but Natalya is a good contender for the belt. She’s a great character with enough history to be considered a threat for the belt without ever having to win it.
- Can I just say again how much I love that the Women’s Championship matches are going on second to last now no matter what?
- Well now that was strange. All I can think of is that since Emma’s injury, they’re not convinced Dana Brooke can get over alone and decided to make her Charlotte’s muscle. While I’m over Ric Flair being in Charlotte’s corner, I don’t think Brooke is the answer.
WINNER AND STILL WWE WOMEN’S CHAMPION: CHARLOTTE
Roman Reigns (c) vs AJ Styles (WWE World Heavyweight Championship) – Extreme Rules Match
- Imagine AJ Styles in a Money in the Bank match… Now I may not want him to win tonight so I can see that!
- I don’t know if I ever said this in writing but AJ Styles was always the TNA version of Shawn Michaels for me. He was the man who could do no wrong and always have the best match of the night. Seeing him debut at the Royal Rumble live was a dream come true yet a dream that I never even bothered to dream because it seemed so far out there. Right now, I’m living on borrowed awesomeness as I was content watching the career Styles had carved out for himself. Now he’s headlining WWE pay-per-views. This is amazing.
- THAT was the type of match I expected last month. Last month was obviously all storyline building and tonight was the match we’ve been waiting for. If it wasn’t for Money in the Bank next month, I don’t know what would be next for Styles.
- Well at least the WWE knew Seth Rollins was going to get a monster reaction when he came back so they immediately pitted him against the “tweener” Reigns. I’m really looking forward to this feud since the dynamic is going to be reversed this time around and there’s so much surrounding Reigns as champion & a returning Rollins. I hope this extends until SummerSlam when they can hopefully work AJ Styles back into the equation.
WINNER AND STILL WWE WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPION: ROMAN REIGNS
Tags: AJ Styles, Asylum Match, Baron Corbin, Big Cass, Brian Pillman, Cesaro, charlotte, Chris Jericho, Colin Cassidy, dean ambrose, Dolph Ziggler, extreme rules, Kalisto, Karl Anderson, Kevin Nash, Kevin Owens, Luke Gallows, Natalya, Psycho Sid, Roman Reigns, rusev, sami zayn, seth rollins, The Bloodline, The Club, The Miz, The New Day, The Uso's, The Vaudevillains, w, WWE, WWE Extreme Rules, WWE Extreme Rules 2016, WWE Women's Championship, WWE World Heavyweight Championship