Welcome to What To Look Forward To!
Here is a quick look at some highlights on the shelves this week. A few new series coming out, as well as a healthy stack of new TPBs and HCs to check out. And so, without further ado, let’s dive in…
New This Week:
Bankshot #1 by Alex de Campi & Chris Cross
– With a tagline like “If it can explode, it will!”, how can you pass? Alex de Campi has been on fire lately, with Archie vs. Predator, Mayday, and No Mercy, and this series looks to be her next big hit. As for art, some early process pages indicate this will be a great looking book.
Batman/Elmer Fudd (by Tom King & Byron Vaughns) and Jonah Hex/Yosemite Sam (Jimmy Palmiotti, Bill Matheny, & David Alvarez)
– It’s here. I once thought Bats/Fudd was too random and too ridiculous a storyline to pass off, but now I think it’s the only natural fit for either character. Who better from the Looney Tunes to track down the Dark Knight than Elmer Fudd, and who better to evade Fudd than the world’s greatest detective? It’s Bat Season, folks. And as with Bats/Fudd, Hex/Sam is a perfect match up. This should be a fun story.
Edge of Venomverse #1 by Matthew Rosenberg & Roland Boschi
– The Venom Event is coming! Each issue of this series features a different character venom-ified, this debut showcases X-23 merged with the symbiote on the run from her creators.
Black Magick #6 by Greg Rucka & Nicola Scott
– It’s back! It’s been quite awhile since the last issue, I was starting to worry this might not continue at all. Of course Rucka and Scott have been busy with Wonder Woman which has been great. This is a stand-alone issue focusing on Rowan’s childhood, so it makes a great jump on point for new readers as well as a nice ‘welcome back’ for old fans!
Clue #1 by Paul Allor & Nelson Daniel
– A new take on the classic game! All the ol’ familiar characters are redesigned for this series, which also includes three alternate endings hidden in the various covers!
Shutter #29 by Joe Keatinge & Leila Del Duca
– The penultimate issue! With only two issues left, there is a lot to wrap up and no doubt a few feels will be felt along the way. If you haven’t read this series yet I cannot recommend it enough, pick up Vol. 01 “Wanderlost” this week.
Wayward #21 by Jim Zub & Steven Cummings
– New arc! If you haven’t heard the news, Wayward was recently optioned for a series for Manga TV, either animated or live-action is not clear yet so keep an eye out for that.
The Wonder Woman 100 Project – 100 artists come together to celebrate everyone’s favorite Amazon princess for The Hero Initiative, some of my favorites include John Cassaday, Adam Hughes, George Perez, Rafael Albuquerque, Leila Del Duca, Tim Sale, Bill Sienkiewicz, and Cliff Chiang.
Other issues to look forward to:
Wonder Woman #25 – Speaking of Diana, it all comes to a head in the Rucka/Scott/Sharp* creative team’s final issue! All arcs over the last 24 issues are tied up here in the special anniversary issue/send off! *Nicola Scott is not featured in this issue, but was artist on previous arcs.
Star Wars: Droids Unplugged #1 – These are reprints of short droid-centric stories from previous but recent Star Wars comics. If you’re getting all of Marvel’s Star Wars titles, you should have these already. But it’s a fun compilation for those who might have missed them, or for those who want them all in one place.
Secret Weapons #1 – Valiant’s new prestige format title, featuring Livewire!
Suicide Squad #20 – The team is in search for a new leader! It’s a tough call, given that everyone seems like they’d be a rotten leader. Plus, guest artist Stjepan Sejic!
Collected Editions and OGNs:
Ghost Rider Vol. 01 Four On The Floor TPB – Robbie Reyes is back! And trouble seems to have found him, as per usual.
Thanos Vol. 01 Thanos Returns TPB – Jeff Lemire gives us a family reunion we can only expect from the Mad Titan.
Batman Beyond Vol. 01 Beyond The Grave TPB – Following the events of “Future’s End” and the last Beyond title, things are more tumultuous in Gotham than ever. Several key players are working their way back into the game, and only Batman can fix it.
Dark Night: A True Batman Story TPB – Paul Dini’s harrowing autobiographical tale of attack and perseverance, and why superheroes are important.
A.D.: After Death HC – Scott Snyder and Jeff Lemire collaborate to bring a deep and thoughtful tale about immortality and the cure for death.
Regular Show Vol. 04 Wrasslesplosion – A new OGN!
This section is for readers new to comics, readers looking for new titles, as well as readers on a budget, highlighting several great “jump-on” points each week for about $20.
Bankshot #1 – $3.99 – You can’t go wrong with Alex de Campi these days.
Black Magick #6 – $3.99 – Like a said, a great stand-alone issue. But do go back and get the rest.
Clue #1 – $3.99
Star Wars: Droids Unplugged #1 – $3.99 – Short and fun stories about some of the galaxies best droids.
Batman/Elmer Fudd and/or Jonah Hex/Yosemite Sam – $4.99 ea.
TOTAL = $20.95 – $25.94
Looking for more recommendations? Find me on Twitter @4ColorPhil and Tumblr
That’s it for now, happy reading everyone! See you next week.
Tags: What To Look Forward To