At Fan Expo Canada last weekend, I had the opportunity to catch up with actress Kristin Kreuk about her newest project, Shuyan Saga. Developed by Loft Sky Entertainment and described as an interactive graphic novel where action scenes come alive through 3D combat gameplay, the Canadian voices the title character of Shuyan. The character is a carefree princess who shuns her pampered lifestyle to become a true student of Kung-Fu and seeks to stop the evil Guer horde from “destroying the Five Kingdoms.”
Key features of the game include:
– Hand-Dtawn Art – Over 1400 illustrated panels from top Asian comic artists Daxiong
– Unique Kung-Fu System – Over 300 combat animations referenced from motion captured techniques that were taken from Shifu Longfei Yang (Master of the Shanxi Preying Mantis Style)
– 3D Combat – Soft and hard Kung-Fu styles that are offered in two main modes (arena and focus)
– Narrative Control – User can make dialogue choices as the story progresses
– Original Soundtrack – Tracked by award-winning composer Aaron Tsang.
The interesting thing about my interview with Kristin Kreuk is that I was originally supposed to interview her in 2004 when she was working on a fantasy mini-series called Earthsea. Due to some scheduling conflicts, the interview never took place so I was quite happy to get the chance to talk to her so many years later.
In our chat, we discuss a variety of topics as she offers more details about the game and how a graphic novel is able to offer gameplay elements. We also talk about her character in the game and why Shuyan appeals to her so much. Kristin also opens up about her work in the fantasy genre after having previously starred in Smallville, Beauty and the Beast and Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun Li. I asked her if it was tougher to act in front of the cameras or behind a microphone doing voice work.
Check out the interview above!
Shuyan Saga is currently available for $19.99 on Steam.
Murtz Jaffer is the world's foremost reality television expert and was the host of Reality Obsessed which aired on the TVTropolis and Global Reality Channels in Canada. He has professional writing experience at the Toronto Sun, National Post, TV Guide Canada, TOROMagazine.com and was a former producer at Entertainment Tonight Canada. He was also the editor at Weekendtrips.com.