[Pop] Billboard Update: NOW 16 Tops Ashlee

“NOW That’s What I Call Music!” Volume 16 jumped ahead of Ashlee Simpson on the Billboard U.S. pop albums chart this week, selling 207,000 copies in the week ending August 22 according to Nielsen SoundScan, compared to 164,000 copies for Simpson’s debut.

Prince’s “Musicology” jumped 35% to third place, with Snoop Dogg/Warren G/Nate Dogg rap supergroup 213’s “The Hard Way” debuted in forth.

Rounding out the top ten:

5 – Usher’s “Confessions”
6 – Marroon5’s “Songs About Jane”
7 – Shyne’s “Godfather … Buried Alive”
8 – Ryan Cabrera’s “Take It All Away”
9 – Avril Lavigne’s “Under My Skin”
10 – Big & Rich’s “Horse of a Different Color”

At 10.8 million copies, U.S. overall album sales saw a 5% drop in units sold from the previous week, and 2% drop from the same week in 2003. Overall, though, 2004 sales have totaled 398 million units, or 7% higher than 2003 totals at this time.

[Credit: Billboard]