– The calm before the storm? It seems to be a rather quiet morning, but a lot happened at last night’s ECW Pay Per View, and things promise to heat up as Monday Night RAW approaches. We’ll have full coverage of all things RAW, Smackdown and ECW as the day progresses.
– In a possible “sigh of relief” for wrestling “purists,” according to the Wrestling Observer’s Dave Meltzer “this is not official” but he’s under the impression that “they won’t strip Rob Van Dam of the title on TV and when he loses it, it will be in the ring.” Moments after we originally posted this news item, PWInsider’s Dave Scherer repeated Meltzer’s report: that the plan as of last night was for WWE to confirm RVD as WWE Champion tonight. Scherer goes on to say that John Cena is expected to be at the ECW show tomorrow to help give ECW a ratings boost from WWE fans on its first show. Finally, WWE.com has said the “Championship situation will be cleared up right when RAW goes on the air tonight at 9/8 CT on the USA Network.” Seems like a no-brainer, really, if you want to establish the fact that both ECW and RAW have legitimate championships to build around, but that’s why a lot of fans were worried leading out of One Night Stand.
– As noted yesterday on our news board as well as in Alex Lucard’s show report, the ECW locker room spilled out into the ring to celebrate with RVD after his title win. Mike Johnson at PWInsider has reported that this went on for at least 15-20 minutes after the show went off the air, with Tommy Dreamer, Paul Heyman, Justin Credible, Balls Mahoney, Bill Alfonso, Mikey Whipwreck, Jason Knight, Lou D’Angeli (Sign Guy Dudley/Lou E. Dangerously), The Big Show, Kurt Angle, and Trinity in the ring. (We think Danny Doring was there as well.) Some highlights included Heyman kissing Trinity, Tommy Dreamer and Tazz raising RVD and Heyman’s hands, RVD and Bill Alfonso being the last two in the ring before Fonzie shook RVD’s hand and left him alone, and RVD doing a curtain call to circle the ring and say thanks to the fans at ringside.
– More from ECW (thanks to our very own Jonathan Widro, who was in attendence, as well as reports from Mike Johnson): If you thought there were more fans at the Ballroom this year than last you were right, as rows went 20 long instead of 12, and standing room only tickets were added … “Oz” actor Chuck Zito, former ECW personality Lance Wright, and TNA/reality show “star” Jonny Fairplay were in the crowd … ECW show t-shirts were being sold, as well as ECW shirts, shirts for Sandman, Tommy Dreamer, Sabu, and Terry Funk … Former TNA ref Mike Posey was part of the show … Joey Styles came out to check on the announce position and got a huge pop before the show started.
– On a completely unrelated note, I don’t know how people find this stuff, but PWInsider published a link over the weekend to pictures from Ric Flair’s third wedding. These probably won’t be up very long.