Some notes leading into tonight’s big show:
– Dave Meltzer at WrestlingObserver.com is reporting that John Cena’s entrance – supposedly the biggest on the show – will have a Detroit “Motor City” theme, and Cena vs. Michaels is still slated to close the show, with everyone pretty much expecting Cena to get booed out of the building. Batista and Undertaker are supposedly really motivated due to not going on last, and will have a big-man power match.
– Also from Meltzer: the Money in the Bank will open the show. Hmm… could that be to tease the winner having “all show” to rest up for a possible post-main event challenge?
– Meltzer also says that Shane McMahon had the idea to open the show and introduce Aretha Franklin, but “Stephanie was trying to bury the idea to anyone who would listen.”
– Some sort of dance contest is being planned, says Meltzer, including Eugene, Fabulous Moolah, Mae Young and the return of… Slick!
– Wade Keller at PWTorch.com says that Ric Flair is as unhappy (or more) than Carlito about being left off Mania, but hasn’t been expressing it as openly as the younger star, who is in the dog house after comments about how he feels about both being left off the show and being in the babyface role.
– Keller goes on to say that there’s been talk Flair will retire at Mania next year.
– Also from Keller: Donald Trump – who’s involved with Mania as per a suggestion by NBC Universal executives who wanted to take advantage of the cross-promotion – has been “matter-of-fact and aloof behind the scenes, acting as if he’s above pro wrestling.”
– Sports Illustrated‘s Arash Markazi is blogging from Wrestlemania (he’s covered WWE in the past), and you can read his article here.
Credit: WrestlingObserver.com, PWTorch.com, SI.com
Tags: Other, Raw, Smackdown, WWE