– Roy Jones Jr is rumored to be in the process of getting a fight with Anthony Hanshaw on Showtime, so says Dan Rafael of ESPN. Nothing is official and getting Jones Jr to sign a contract these days is harder than remembering to floss. Jones Jr is a long-time member of the HBO family and if this rumor comes to fruition it will be his first fight on Showtime. The fight is tentatively scheduled for early June.
– In better news from Dan Rafael, The promoters for Antonio Margarito and Paul Williams settled their legal differences, making a fight between the two very likely. The promoters are working out the details and hope to have the fight made official by the end of the week. A fight between these two welterweights would be a major treat. Williams has been calling out Margarito for the past year and since Margarito-Cotto fell through, Williams seems likely to get his man.
– Fightnews.com reports that heavyweight James Toney wants to return to the ring this summer. Not only that, but Toney hinted that he was in talks with Spike TV for his own reality show. That would only be the greatest show in the history of the world. This show must happen. A summer fight would merely be a bonus.
– According to MMANews.com, former heavyweight champion Ray Mercer will enter the world of MMA on June 16 for Cage Fury Fighting Championship 5. His opponent will be Kimbo Slice. Mercer is also the 1988 Heavyweight Olympic Gold Medalist while Kimbo gained his fame by streetfighting on the Internet:
Results From Last Week
– Andre Ward, 2004 Olympic Gold Medalist, scored a third round TKO of Julio Jean to remain undefeated as a professional.
– Jhonny Gonzalez retained his WBO Super Bantamweight Title with a ninth round TKO of Irene Pacheco. Pacheco announced his retirement after the fight.
– Colombian light middleweight prospect Joel Julio defeated Thomas Davis by knockout in the 7th round.
– 43-year-old former light heavyweight champion Henry Maske avenged the only loss of his career by earning a unanimous decision over Virgil Hill. Maske retired after losing to Hill in 1996. Hill hopes they can settle the score but Maske plans to retire again.
– Oscar Larios defeated Luis Cid by unanimous decision. Up next for Larios is In Jin Chi and the WBC Featherweight Title.