USAToday.com has a story on former indie pro wrestler Thomas Urbanski, who was shot and paralyzed in the Las Vegas incident that Adam “Pacman” Jones was allegedly involved in. About Jones being signed by TNA, he said: “I wasn’t a Hulk Hogan, but I was one of the boys. If I was still wrestling and this was happening to one of my friends and I got (Jones) in the ring, I’d take his freakin’ head off … But I’ve got to worry about just getting better … I can’t think about that.”
In other news:
– ECW last night did a 1.7 cable rating, up from last week’s 1.5, according to Nielsen Media Research by way of PWInsider.com.
– WWE released Tough Enough IV competitor Daniel Rodimer today, according to WWE.com. As Dan Rodman, he was last seen as a competitor on RAW, although he hasn’t been seen on WWE TV since the episode Mr. McMahon faked his own death.
– Former WWE Undisputed Champion Brock Lesnar wants a UFC deal and will be at Saturday’s show, according to MMAWeekly.com. He told the site: “I’m going to be attending the UFC this weekend, and I’m going to go down and watch and see in person, because I’ve watched these guys fight on TV. I’m going to go down there and see for myself and watch these heavyweights that I know I can beat.”
– SI.com has a story on deaths in wrestling.
– PWInsider is reporting that there’s “talk” of Extreme Expose eventually doing a Playboy shoot.
– On CLUBWWI.com, D-Lo Brown said this about his WWE tryout matches from last week: “It was a cool feeling. It was fun and I enjoyed it. Nothing’s come out of it so far. Right now, my name’s been everywhere on the Internet and trust me, I appreciate the love and respect that I’m getting on the Internet. But right now, it’s nothing big right now.”
– There’s a story on CM Punk’s theme music here.
– Brian Fritz from Between The Ropes has a column now with the Orlando Sentinel.
– WWE issued a press release today on Summerslam.
– TNAWrestling.com asks “Can Angle go the distance?” in a recent article on the site.
– Dory Funk Jr. sent word that Dean Malenko will be at his wrestling school in Ocala, Florida, on September 4 to scout wrestling talent. From Dory: “Working for All Japan Pro-Wrestling September 30th, 1990 at Korakuen Hall in Tokyo, Japan as a part of the All Japan Pro-Wrestling Real World Tag Team League Tournament, Terry and I wrestled Dean and Joe Malenko.” You can see video of that match on !BANG! TV.
– Some Anchorwoman reviews that ran prior to tonight’s premiere episode starring former WWE Diva Lauren Jones: Boston Herald :: NY Daily News :: Media Life :: LA Times :: NY Post. While Jones is being pushed as a former WWE wrestler, she was barely on WWE TV, joining the Smackdown roster on 12.16.04 and being removed from WWE.com’s Smackdown roster page on approximately 06.23.05.
– NWAWrestling.com posted the following about the September 1 finals of the NWA World Heavyweight Championship tournament featuring Bryan Danielson vs. Brent Albright at the IWA Puerto Rico show:
Charlotte, NC (August 18, 2007) Ã¢â‚¬â€œ Tonight in Vancouver BC, “The American DragonÃ¢â‚¬Â Bryan Danielson pinned “Scrap IronÃ¢â‚¬Â Adam Pearce when Pearce went for a figure-four leg lock and Danielson countered with a small package in 22:00. The results of this match sets the Championship match for September 1, 2007 against “ShooterÃ¢â‚¬Â Brent Albright in Puerto Rico.
Later this week NWA Executive Director Robert K. Trobich will have full details on the venue and comments on the future of the National Wrestling Alliance.
Information on the IWAPR show can be found at IWAPR.tv.
– Victoria says she’ll win Sunday in her latest MySpace blog.
– PWInsider has reported that Jack Evans will be putting together a stable in Ring of Honor.
– The TNA video game from Midway is set to be released next year for the PS2 and 3, Xbox 360 and Wii, according to PWInsider.