– Dana White is stopping this Anderson Silva-Roy Jones Jr boxing match nonsense before it drums up any more momentum. MMAJunkie.com reports the UFC President has veto power of such a move by the UFC Middleweight champion and would use it should negotiations work out. Chances are with Roy Jones Jr involved, negotiations never would have worked out. Still, it was nice for Dana to nip this in the bud as it’s a silly idea. Jones Jr would destroy Silva in a boxing match just as Silva would destroy Jones Jr in an MMA contest.
– The folks at Yamma Pit Fighting say to hell with regulations. According to MMAJunkie.com, Mark Kerr has been added to their April 11th show. Yamma is advertising Mark Kerr vs. Oleg Taktarov and Gary Goodrigdge vs. Butterbean in addition to an 8-man heavyweight tournament. The two “superfights” may not happen, as Five Ounces of Pain points out. Goodridge was knocked out last week and commissions won’t let a fighter compete that close to being knocked out. Furthermore, Mark Kerr is under suspension and the fight against Taktarov has not been approved by the New Jersey Athletic Commission. UPDATE: MMAJunkie.com reports that Goodridge IS out and Patrick Smith back in. Smith will face Butterbean on the show.
– Ricco Rodriguez is the only name worth mentioning scheduled for the Yamma heavyweight tournament. There is still time for him to do something to have his name pulled from the event.
– MMAWeekly.com has the numbers from the EliteXC/Strikeforce show from last week, for those of you that care about this sort of thing. The live gate was $1.1 million with a total attendance of 15,192. Fighter salaries are as follows:
Frank Shamrock $300,000
Cung Le $200,000
Gilbert Melendez $50,000
Joey Villasenor $36,000
Wayne Cole $10,000
Drew Fickett $10,000
– The UFC has yet to confirm this, but MMAWeekly.com reports that Frank Mir will return to the octagon at UFC 86 to face Justin McCully. UFC 86 will be headlined by Rampage vs. Forrest Griffin.
– Finally, and this is relatively obvious, but The Sun reports that Chuck Liddell is not impressed by Kimbo Slice. Read the article to find out why The Iceman doesn’t think Kimbo would last in the UFC.
Tags: anderson silva, Boxing, Chuck Liddell, Cung Le, Dana White, EliteXC, Frank Mir, Frank Shamrock, Kimbo Slice, Mixed Martial Arts, MMA, Ricco Rodriguez, Roy Jones Jr, Strikeforce, UFC