Catching up on the weekend rumors from MLB Trade Rumors:
– The Braves are looking for starting pitching, but won’t over pay. Also, Mike Hampton could retire.
– Japanese baseball players could become free agents quick if the rules changed. They’d still have to wait 9 years before coming to the MLB.
– The Brewers are also looking for pitching.
– Noah Lowry has hit a set back in rehab; he could miss the first half.
– Free Agent Stock Watch: Jason Varitek
– Juan Pierre is unhappy sitting on the Dodger bench.
– Julio Franco officially retires.
– The Rangers are not interested in Derrick Turnbow; The Mets are talking about him.
– The Dodgers could move Clayton Kershaw up to the majors. They want to limit him to 150 IP this year.
– The Reds, Yankees, and Brewers do not have interest in Gerald Liard.
– Orlando Hudson could see a big payday, since the D’Backs won’t offer him market value.
– The Nationals could release Johnny Estrada, since they have 3 catchers on their roster.
– Clint Barmes is building his trade value for the Rockies since Tulowitzki is out for a while.
– Coco Crisp won’t be moved by the Red Sox soon, as Brandon Moss, who would be the 4th outfielder, is out after an appendectomy. There are rumblings of Brad Wilkerson being in Boston.
– Billy Wagner expects to retire after 2009.
– A slow start by the Yankees could push Brian Cashman out. His name is already being attached to the Phillies.
– The Rays are undecided who they are taking with the first pick; last year they knew they were taking David Price.
– The Yankees are sending Ian Kennedy to Triple A; Darrel Rasner is taking his roster spot.
– Jerry Owens is blocked by Carlos Quentin and the White Sox could listen to offers for him.
– Anthony Reyes was demoted by the Cardinals to Triple A, but he’s going there to build trade value as a starter.
– The Pirates are working on a deal to keep Evan Meeks in their system; the Rule V draftee would have to go back to the Rays if a deal isn’t worked out.
– The Indians are going DFA either Andy Marte or Jason Michaels. If Michaels is choosen, he will be released.
Tags: Baseball, Rumors