The Cubs make a signing or 2, an ace gets extended, a Giant change coming, and the College Top 25.
BAL 6 BOS 3
NYA 2 TB 1
CLE 2 OAK 0
KC 2 DET 0
TOR 6 MIN 5
CHA 6 LAA 1
SEA 4 TEX 3
WAS 5 NYN 3
ATL 8 PHI 6
CHN 8 SD 5
CIN 7 FLA 6
LAN 6 MIL 4
STL 5 PIT 1
ARI 4 COL 3
HOU 6 SF 3
Boston Red Sox
Jonathan Van Every called up from the minors; Clay Buchholz placed on the DL (15-day, broken nail, right middle finger).
Jeff Keppinger placed on the DL (15-day, fractured left kneecap – out 4-6 weeks); Paul Janish called up from the minors.
Los Angeles Angels
John Lackey removed from the DL; Jose Arredondo called up from the minors; Kendry Morales sent to the minors.
Los Angeles Dodgers
Luis Maza purchased from the minors.
Raul Chavez purchased from the minors; Ryan Doumit placed on the DL (15-day, fractured left thumb).
Tampa Bay Rays
Scott Dohmann designated for assignment; Scott Kazmir signed to a 3 year extension (2009-2011; Opt 2012); Al Reyes removed from the DL.
Travis Metcalf sent to the minors; Marlon Byrd removed from the DL.
Chris Schroder sent to the minors; Jason Bergmann called up from the minors; Dmitri Young sent to the minors for rehabilitation.
Yesterdays Rumors from MLB Trade Rumors
– Free agent to be Jon Garland probably won’t sign with the White Sox.
– The Rockies want Julian Tavarez without giving up pitching prospect Brandon Hynick.
– Giants owner Peter Magowan is expected to step down Friday.
– The Cubs signed free agent Korean SS Lee Hak-ju; scouts said he’d be a first rounder in the States. They also signed that Edmonds guy.
– The Marlins are expected to sign Jacque Jones, possibly today.
– Japanese P Kenshin Kawakami wants to sign with the Red Sox after the season; they have a nice scouting report up on him.
– The Braves could bring Greg Maddux back – he’s expected to be available.
– The Mariners have said they have no problem adding Ken Griffey Jr’s salary to their payroll, including his $16MM option.
– Scott Kazmir has signed 4 year, $28.5MM extension with the Rays; it also includes a $11MM option for 2012.
Around the Web
Top Prospect Alert’s Top MiLB Performances.
BA Prospect Blog
All Star Voting
Jonathan Mayo of MLB.com projects picks 1-10.
College Top 25.
Los Angeles Dodgers at Milwaukee Brewers, 1:05 PM
(R) Chad Billingsley (2-5) vs. (R) Ben Sheets (4-0)
Washington Nationals at New York Mets, 1:10 PM
(R) Jason Bergmann (0-1) vs. (R) Mike Pelfrey (2-3)
Pittsburgh Pirates at St. Louis Cardinals, 1:15 PM
(R) Ian Snell (2-2) vs. (R) Joel Pineiro (2-2)
San Diego Padres at Chicago Cubs, 2:20 PM
(R) Greg Maddux (3-3) vs. (R) Ryan Dempster (4-1)
Houston Astros at San Francisco Giants, 3:45 PM
(R) Chris Sampson (2-3) vs. (R) Tim Lincecum (5-1)
Atlanta Braves at Philadelphia Phillies, 7:05 PM
(L) Chuck James (2-2) vs. (L) Cole Hamels (4-3)
Florida Marlins at Cincinnati Reds, 7:10 PM
(L) Andrew Miller (3-2) vs. (R) Matt Belisle (1-3)
Colorado Rockies at Arizona Diamondbacks, 9:40 PM
(R) Aaron Cook (6-1) vs. (R) Brandon Webb (8-0)
Oakland Athletics at Cleveland Indians, 12:05 PM
(L) Greg Smith (2-2) vs. (L) Aaron Laffey (1-2)
Toronto Blue Jays at Minnesota Twins, 1:10 PM
(R) Dustin McGowan (2-3) vs. (L) Glen Perkins (0-1)
Detroit Tigers at Kansas City Royals, 2:10 PM
(L) Kenny Rogers (3-3) vs. (R) Gil Meche (2-5)
New York Yankees at Tampa Bay Rays, 4:10 PM
(R) Ian Kennedy (0-2) vs. (L) Scott Kazmir (1-1)
Chicago White Sox at LA Angels of Anaheim, 10:05 PM
(R) Javier Vazquez (4-3) vs. (R) Jon Garland (4-3)