Today (Thursday) is your last day to guarantee yourself tickets for King of Trios 2009. Make sure you’re not out of the loop when you get to Philadelphia; check out Chikarticles.
Chikara News as of 3.26.2009
Rey de Voladores Tournament Announced
The 2009 Rey de Voladores Tournament has been confirmed and will be taking place this weekend. That’s right, two tournaments in one weekend! This year’s tournament format will be the same as last year’s, as there will be two 4-Way-Dances on Night 2 of the King of Trios Weekend. The winner of those two matches will meet in a one-on-one match with the date yet to be announced. Confirmed for this year’s RdV Tournament are Fire Ant and Player Dos. Rey de Voladores Tournament is America’s elite showcase of the top high-flyers from around the world. Chuck Taylor won the first RdV Tournament ever in 2007, and Incognito won 2008.
12-Tag Team Gauntlet Confirmed for Night 3
Chikara’s annual Tag Team Gauntlet makes its return on King of Trios 2009 Night 3. While it is the fastest way to gain three points to get a shot at the Campeones de Parejas, it sure as hell is the easiest way to lose all your points. No one has ever left the Gauntlet with three points. Cheech and Cloudy left the ring as winners in the 2007 Tag Team Gauntlet (which featured 17 teams!), but only left with two points. Demolition won last year after making quick work out of The Order of the Neo Solar Temple. Speaking of Up in Smoke and The Order, they are the only two teams confirmed so far for the 2009 Tag Team Gauntlet.
Quackenbush to Get Surgery
I found this over on Mike Quackenbush’s official website, from Mike Quackenbush himself…
“Back in December of 2005, I had a major operation to remove a number of growths in my back, as well as in both of my wrists. The procedure sidelined me for quite a while – and I missed a chunk of 2006 as a result. The road back from an operation like that is long, and there are no guarantees. So, it is with great reluctance that I admit that I will once again be going under the knife for the same reason. A cyst in my back has been putting pressure on my spine, and causing me tremendous pain which I can no longer ignore. I have been advised to have the surgery before year’s end, but there are a few things I want to accomplish first. My fans know that whether I am hurting or not, I always give 100% in the ring, and they can expect more of the same from me, be it at King of Trios, or where ever my travels take me in the weeks to come.”
While this is some sad news for us wrestling fans, it’s good that Mike Quackenbush is looking after his body. We here at Pulse Wrestling wish Quackenbush safe wrestling before the surgery and a speedy recovery after the surgery.
Bryan Danielson: The Third Man
On a lighter note, Bryan Danielson makes his Chikara debut alongside Claudio Castagnoli and Dave Taylor in Team Uppercut! His first match in Chikara will be against the trio of Eddie Kingston, Brodie Lee and Grizzly Redwood.
List of Confirmed King of Trios Teams
1. Masters of 1,000 Holds: Mike Quackenbush, Jorge Rivera and Johnny Saint
2. Team Uppercut: Claudio Castagnoli, Dave Taylor and Bryan Danielson
3. Cold Front: Al Snow, Glacier and Iceberg
4. Death Match Kings: Toby Klein, Brain Damage and Necro Butcher
5. Incoherence: Delirious, Hallowicked and Frightmare
6. The Future Is Now: Lince Dorado, Equinox and Helios
7. Team PWG: Nick Jackson, Matt Jackson and El Generico
8. Team EPIC! War: Austin Aries, Tony Kozina and Ryan Drago
9. Osirian Portal: Amasis, Ophidian and Escorpio Egipcio
10. The Roughnecks: Brodie Lee, Grizzly Redwood and Eddie Kingston
11. Da Soul Touchaz: Willie Richardson, Marshe Rockett and Trauma (2nd King of Trios Appearance)
12. Team CZW: Pinkie Sanchez, Beef Wellington and Greg Excellent
13. Team F1rst: Arik Cannon, Darin Corbin and Ryan Cruz
14. Team FIST: Icarus, Gran Akuma and Chuck Taylor (3rd King of Trios Appearance)
15. The UnStable: Vin Gerard, Colin Delaney and STIGMA
16. Team DDT: Kota Ibushi, KUDO and Michael Nakazawa
Tag Team Point Standings
Campeones de Parejas: The Osirian Portal (Amasis and Ophidian)
Mike Quackenbush and Jigsaw
Tim Donst and Hydra
STIGMA and Colin Delaney
Mitch Ryder and Larry Sweeney
Hallowicked and Frightmare
Gran Akuma and Icarus
Upcoming Chikara Events
King of Trios 2009 Night 1 in Philadelphia, PA (3.27.2009)
1. Cold Front (Al Snow, Glacier and Iceberg) vs. The UnStable (Vin Gerard, Colin Delaney and STIGMA)
2. Incoherence (Delirious, Hallowicked and Frightmare) vs. Masters of 1,000 Holds (Mike Quackenbush, Jorge Rivera and Johnny Saint)
3. The Future Is Now (Lince Dorado, Equinox and Helios) vs. Team DDT (Kota Ibushi, KUDO and Michael Nakazawa)
4. Death Match Kings (Toby Klein, Brain Damage and Necro Butcher) vs. Team FIST (Icarus, Gran Akuma and Chuck Taylor)
5. Team CZW (Pinkie Sanchez, Beef Wellington and Greg Excellent) vs. Da Soul Touchaz (Willie Richardson, Marshe Rockett and Trauma)
6. The Roughnecks (Brodie Lee, Grizzly Redwood and Eddie Kingston) vs. Team Uppercut (Claudio Castagnoli, Dave Taylor and Bryan Danielson)
7. Team PWG (Nick Jackson, Matt Jackson and El Generico) vs. Osirian Portal (Amasis, Ophidian and Escorpio Egipcio)
8. Team F1rst (Arik Cannon, Darin Corbin and Ryan Cruz) vs. Team EPIC! War (Austin Aries, Tony Kozina and Ryan Drago)
King of Trios 2009 Night 2 in Philadelphia, PA (3.28.2009)
1. Player Uno vs. Twiggy (ISW Showcase)
2. Davey Vega and Gary the BarnOwl vs. Submission Squad (LWA Showcase)
3. Player Dos vs. Fire Ant vs. ??? vs. ??? (Rey de Voladores 4-Way Eliminator)
4. ??? vs. ??? vs. ??? vs. ??? (Rey de Voladores 4-Way Eliminator)
Plus 4 Quarter-Final Matches for the King of Trios Tournament!
King of Trios 2009 Night 3 in Philadelphia, PA (3.29.2009)
1. 12-Tag-Team Gauntlet (Confirmed: The Order of the Neo Solar Temple, Up In Smoke)
Plus the Semi-Finals and Final of the King of Trios Tournament!
-Head over to the Chikara Store because today is your last day to guarantee yourself tickets for King of Trios Weekend! If you don’t order tickets online today, you’ll have to press your luck and wait in line for The Arena’s box office.
Vinny T doesn’t wish he was a little bit taller, nor does he wish to become a baller. What he DOES wish for is a lot of wrestling stuff in another awesome edition of Alternate Reality.
Mark Allen is on top of everything WWE.
Glazer returns to give 10 Thoughts on Ring of Honor’s TV Debut.