Just when you thought the Battlestar Galactica saga had ended, they pull you back for another 90 minute special. Battlestar Galactica: The Plan gives us the motivations behind the Cylons attack that started the latest version of the series. The movie is slated to air on SyFy in November, but eager fans can buy the DVD and Blu-ray at the end of October. Here’s the press release from Universal Studios Home Entertainment:
UNIVERSAL CITY, Calif., July 17 – Television’s most thrilling science fiction adventure makes a stunning turnabout when Battlestar Galactica: The Plan debuts on Blu-ray Hi-Def and DVD on October 27, 2009 from Universal Studios Home Entertainment. For the first time ever, fans can experience the uncut and uncensored story of humanity’s futuristic fight for survival through the eyes of their deadly adversaries, the Cylons. This never-before-seen perspective of the Cylon plan reunites the series’ original television cast, including Emmy Award winner Edward James Olmos (Stand and Deliver), Dean Stockwell (JAG), Tricia Helfer (Burn Notice), Grace Park (The Cleaner) and Callum Keith Rennie (Californication). Ronald D. Moore and David Eick return as executive producers.
Battlestar Galactica: The Plan‘s executive producer and writer Jane Espenson added, “Edward James Olmos was our director on the movie, and he did an amazing job. He also shot some great footage that we are not able to show on TV, so I’m thrilled that viewers can experience it uncut as our director envisioned it.”
Battlestar Galactica: The Plan includes the uncensored 90-minute feature and revealing bonus features that take viewers onto the set of the most unexpected twist ever in the intergalactic saga’s history. Interactive features available exclusively on Blu-ray Hi-Def include the new Battlestar Galactica Trivia Game, as well as Universal’s acclaimed U-CONTROL and BD-LIVE experience. With Blu-ray Hi-Def, viewers can enjoy Battlestar Galactica: The Plan‘s stunning visuals with perfect picture and the purest digital sound available.
During four spellbinding seasons on the SCI FI Channel (now Syfy), Battlestar Galactica‘s vivid reimagining of the classic television series earned a legion of devoted fans, as well as unfettered critical acclaim, and Emmy Awards for Outstanding Special Visual Effects in 2007 and 2008 and a Peabody Award in 2008. Battlestar Galactica: The Plan is priced at $39.98 SRP on Blu-ray Hi-Def and $26.98 SRP on DVD.
BATTLESTAR GALACTICA: THE PLAN – BONUS FEATURES
Battlestar Galactica: The Plan on Blu-ray Hi-Def and DVD takes viewers deeper into the acclaimed space drama with exclusive bonus features, including:
- EXCLUSIVE TO Blu-ray Hi-Def:
- BD-LIVE: Access the BD-Live Center through your Internet-connected player to download more exclusive content, the latest trailers and more!
- MY SCENES: Bookmark your favorite scenes from the movie.
- BATTLESTAR GALACTICA TRIVIA: All-new trivia game.
- BONUS FEATURES (BLU-RAY HI-DEF and DVD):
- DELETED SCENES
- FROM ADMIRAL TO DIRECTOR: EDWARD JAMES OLMOS AND THE PLAN – A day-in-the-life with director and actor Edward James Olmos, as he tackles the most ambitious Battlestar Galactica production to date.
- THE CYLONS OF THE PLAN – Features interviews with the actors who play the film’s key Cylons, including Dean Stockwell, Tricia Helfer, Grace Park, Michael Trucco, Rick Worthy and Michael Bennett.
- THE CYLON ATTACK – This featurette takes viewers behind the scenes for the planning and execution of one of Battlestar Galactica: The Plan‘s major action sequences.
- BEHIND THE PLAN – An in-depth look at some stunning visual effects and the role post-production plays in bringing the world of Battlestar Galactica to life.
- FILMMAKER COMMENTARY
Battlestar Galactica: The Plan: The Cylons began as humanity’s robot servants. They rebelled, and evolved, and now they look like us. Their plan is simple: destroy the race that enslaved them. But when their devastating attack leaves human survivors, the Cylons have to improvise. Battlestar Galactica: The Plan tells the story of two powerful Cylon leaders, working separately, and their determination to finish the task.
An inspired, visually stunning reimagining of the 1978 series of the same name, Battlestar Galactica captured the imaginations of a new generation of fans with its gritty realism, compelling storylines and commanding performances. The show garnered numerous awards, including two Emmys and the prestigious George Foster Peabody Award and was recognized by the American Film Institute (AFI) as one of the most outstanding television programs of the year for two years running. In March 2009, Battlestar Galactica‘s impassioned explorations of today’s hot-button issues, including politics, terrorism, treatment of prisoners and religion, even inspired the United Nations to host a special panel to discuss the questions it has raised. The series is from Universal Cable Productions and is executive produced by Ronald D. Moore and David Eick.
Tags: Battlestar Galactica