The Winter Games are a little beyond half-way over – these are a collection of random thoughts and observations through Sunday’s action – also, I’ve included a current Medal Count because there should be something of value within these ramblings.
- Shaun White — You don’t have to know anything at all about the Half pipe to be able to easily recognize greatness. American Shaun White had the Gold wrapped up after the first of his two runs – a run that was so much more impressive than the others they should’ve awarded all three medals to The Animal (his new preferred nickname – previously he was known as The Flying Tomato – easy to see why he would want to switch). He pulled a stunt in his second run that he had never landed before – stating that he can only do the impossible when the pressure is on – dude is a STAR!
- Apolo Anton Ohno – Became the most decorated Winter Olympian in American history when he took Bronze in the 1.000 meter short track. It was his 7th trip to the podium, passing Bonnie Blair on the All Time list. What’s amazing is that Ohno has two more chances to add to his total – he’ll compete in the 500 meter and the 5,000 meter relay. You need to watch these!
- Olympic Hockey – It’s like a tournament of All Star teams – if you’re not a hockey fan, do yourself one of two favors – attend a game live or get an HDTV. Either one will greatly increase your appreciation for hockey. OR, you could just watch Alex Ovechkin – if he doesn’t get you hooked, hockey is not for you. Also, USA vs Canada happens tonight – should be sweet!
- Former Nebraska Cornhusker Curt Tomasevicz is competing in the 2 man Bobsled – they are currently 4th overall after 2 of 4 runs – In the Deed the Glory!! Sorry, couldn’t miss a chance to give a Husker some pub!
- Shani Davis – Wins Gold in the 1,000 meter, becoming the first American to repeat in the event. Also took home what some consider (not me) a disappointing Silver in the 1,500 meter – nevertheless, two trips to the podium ain’t bad
- Lindsey Vonn – A Gold and a Bronze, in the Super Downhill and Super G – and did you see her in SI??
- Evan Lysacek – Wins Gold in Men’s’ Figure Skating – a lot bigger deal than most of us realize
- Bode Miller – Finally settled down some after becoming a family man – but still kicks tail on the slopes!
- I watched most of the Men’s Eleventy Million kilometer cross country skiing race – took a little over an hour and 15 minutes – what I learned is that I literally had nothing to do Saturday afternoon…and golf is more boring without Tiger than guys literally skiing UPHILL
- If you hate Figure Skating, you’ll want to shove lit cigars in your eyes if you ever see Ice Dancing – it’s much like figure skating, minus its only appeal – the jumps, leaps, twists, FALLS! Ice Dancing is literally that, a couple doing the Tango on ice skates. Wow – this is not good.
- How does anyone ever figure out that they’re good at some of these events?? Like the biathlon – a combination of cross-country skiing and rifle shooting…really?? Didn’t offer that at my high school. And even ski jumping – how can an unsuccessful ski jump be described as anything but horrific? Curling?? Have you seen curling?? Don’t misunderstand, the sport requires enormous intelligence, dexterity, concentration and focus…..but it’s not like SI and ESPN and cramming it down the throats of America’s youth everyday. Where can you go curling? In reality, these sports are extremely difficult to master and the athletes deserve the utmost respect, but they’re about as appealing to watch as a Rosie O’Donnell strip-tease.
As for the medal count, current as of Sunday the 21st, 3:30 central time:
1) USA – 6 Gold, 7 Silver, 10 Bronze – 23 Total
2) Germany – 4G, 6S, 4B – 14 Total
3) Norway – 5G, 3S, 3B – 11 Total
4) South Korea – 4G, 4S, 1B – 9 Total
5) Canada – 4G, 3S, 1B – 8 Total
5) France – 2G, 2S, 4B – 8 Total
17) Australia – 1G, 1S, 0B – 2 Total
GO USA GO!
Tags: Hockey, Olympics, Other Sports, USA