Top 5 MLB Rookies to Know
1) Jason Heyward, OF, Atlanta – This kid, only 20, is an absolute RAKE. He simply mashes the ball – you know how it kinda sounds different off some guys’ bats?? Heyward is one of those guys. He has all but wrapped up a starting job in the Atlanta outfield, and this spring he is killing – hitting one HR an estimated 450+.
2) Alcides Escobar, SS, Milwaukee – This guy is a defensive gem, and hits in one of the most favorable lineup spots in the NL: behind base path menace Rickie Weeks and ahead of maulers Ryan Braun, Prince Fielder, and Corey Hart. Escobar is highly thought of, and some are even comparing him to a young Jose Reyes – that’s high praise.
3) Brian Matusz, SP, Baltimore – Lefty-stud that gets tons of comparisons to Phillies star Cole Hamels. Has command of four pitches plus his heater can reach mid-90s. Huge part of the massive youth movement in Baltimore.
4) Scott Sizemore, 2B, Detroit – Sometimes you can tell how good a prospect is by what his team is willing to do to get him on the field – Sizemore is that perfect example – the Tigers parted ways with true pro Placido Polanco to make room for Sizemore. As long as his surgically repaired ankle holds up, expect Sizemore to be huge.
5) Aroldis Chapman, SP, Cincinnati – Probably the most intriguing of the group – Defects from Cuba in 2009 — Signs a 6 year-$30.25 million contract earlier this year – but the guy can HUM it, reportedly having reached 102 mph! – Gets comparisons to Randy Johnson – is struggling with back spasms currently, but when he gets healthy, he can be part of a very scary Reds rotation
Others to follow: Stephen Stasburg, SP, Washington–Neftali Perez, SP, Texas—Wade Davis, SP, Tampa—Austin Jackson, OF, Detroit—Carlos Santana, C, Cleveland
Tags: Baseball, Jason Heyward