Welcome to yet another 10 Thoughts on Raw! This show was the second part of the two-show taping I attended this week, so my thoughts may have some influence from being in the arena. That said, like almost every week I am typing this as the show goes on from my couch with my iPad on my lap and a cold beer to drink. For some wrestling thoughts, including my acclaimed Sunday Random Thoughts and a short column on the Night of Champions main event check out itswilltime.wordpress.com.
Now on with the thoughts!
1. I loved Sheamus’ promo at the beginning of Raw this week. Inside the arena my buddies and I told the children sitting around us the Sheamus was talking about them. I love any heel that can make children truly hate them.
2. I am amazed that we are not going to see a three hour Raw next week for the 900th episode. By amazed, I mean delighted. The three hour shows have not been great in the last year and I have begun to dread them.
3. Nice match from Edge and R-Truth and a good short promo from Edge. There was not a huge amount of heat on Edge, but remember that the fans were encouraged to cheer for Edge just moments before during last week’s Raw.
4. That might have been The Great Khali’s best match in years. Sure, it was short and it ended with him tapping out, but Chris Jericho did all of the moving for Khali and made him look good. I love that Jericho made Khali tap out one week after putting Wade Barrett over clean.
5. I feel like Jillian could be a credible woman’s wrestler in the WWE, but she is not given the opportunity with her silly gimmick. It could be worse though. She could have no gimmick, like Gail Kim.
6. Last week on my blog (itswilltime.wordpress.com) I predicted that The Nexus would start going after championships instead of more ambush attacks. I did so based on them having that ban removed. I think that The Nexus may take a slow burn back to being a strong unbeatable group this way, thus extending their run together.
7. The Miz vs John Cena was a really good TV match. The Miz looked impressive while he was on the offensive. While many believe that John Cena needs to lose often, I think that him allowing other talent to get a lot of offense in and selling it appropriately. This is yet another step in The Miz’s progression as a main eventer.
8. Daniel Bryan looked really intense with his attack on The Miz. After being beat down by Miz both last week on Raw and at Summerslam, he needed that moment to make him more legitimate. I am really looking forward to Night of Champions where I assume we will see The Miz vs Daniel Bryan.
9. I really don’t understand why so many divas love Santino. I also don’t understand why the writing team is just replaying the Beth Phoenix and Santino storyline with a different diva.
10. Fun, short triple threat match that really was not necessary. Why did Orton have to be inserted into the Dibiase and Morrison rivalry? It made the two of them look minor league and made the rivalry they had built look inconsequential next to Randy Orton.
BONUS THOUGHTS (Someday I will actually limit myself to 10)
As a bonus non thought, Zach Ryder’s promo was retaped without fans in the arena. During the real show he said “It will be an honor to tear the house down with you. Woo woo woo, you know it.”
11. Sure, Zach Ryder was not put over strong tonight, but I did find that segment to be funny. It makes me sad that Ryder is in this position though, since he can really be a big character with the Jersey Shore tie-in and get a ton of heat. He took an awful character and turned it into something entertaining. Now that character just needs to get pushed.
12. Color me unimpressed with the idea of a six pack challenge. I recognize that with all of the main eventers on Raw this is the only way to get them all on the Night of Champions show. It really does seem like the booking team took the easy way out. I’ve got more to say about this on my blog at itswilltime.wordpress.com.
Make sure you check out the blog and I hope you enjoyed the thoughts. I’ll be with you all again on Thursday for another People’s Column.
Tags: 10 Thoughts, Bryan Danielson, edge, john cena, Raw, The Nexus, Will Pruett, WWE