WEC 51 saw Jose Aldo retain his his World Featherweight Title last night while Donald Cerrone and Miguel Torres returned to winning ways. Aldo knocked out challenger Manny Gamburyan early in the second round, continuing a dominant winning streak that has now seen him go 8-0 in the WEC.
Coming off his disappointing submission defeat to Ben Henderson at WEC48, Cerrone comfortably outpointed Jamie Varner in their eagerly awaited rematch, with all three judges giving him the fight 30-27. This levelled the score between the two fighters at 1 victory a piece, and both fighters talked about facing each other again, possibly as soon as December’s WEC 52. Both Cerrone and Varner recieved the $10,000 Fight of the Night bonus.
After suffering back-to-back defeats at the hands of Brian Bowles and Joseph Benavidez, former World Bantamweight Champion Miguel Torres finally returned to winning ways by defeating Charlie Valencia. Torres took the fight in the second round, submitting Valencia at 2:25 with a rear naked choke. Torres recieved the Submission of the Night bonus.
Finally on the main card, the two participants in one of the Fights of the Year had a bad night at the office with both Leonard Garcia and the ‘Korean Zombie’ Chan Sung Jung being defeated. Jung was knocked out by George Roop at 1:30 of the second round when Roop connected with a head kick, while Garcia lost a split decision to Mark Hominick.Roop recieved the Knockout of the Night bonus.
Check out the full results of both the main card and pre-lim fights below, and remember to stay with Inside Fights more more news and analysis of WEC 51.
- Jose Aldo defeated Manny Gamburyan via knockout (strikes) at Round 2, 1:32 (retains featherweight title)
- Donald Cerrone defeated Jamie Varner via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Miguel Torres defeated Charlie Valencia via submission (rear-naked choke) at Round 2, 2:25
- George Roop defeated Chan Sung Jung via KO (head kick) at Round 2, 1:30
- Mark Hominick defeated Leonard Garcia via split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)
- Tiequan Zhang defeated Pablo Garza via submission (guillotine choke) at Round 1, 2:26
- Mike Brown defeated Cole Province via TKO (punches) at Round 1, 1:18
- Chris Horodecki defeated Ed Ratciff via split decision (28-29, 30-27, 30-27)
- Diego Nunes defeated Tyler Toner via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 30-27)
- Antonio Banuelos defeated Chad George via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 30-27)
- Demetrious Johnson defeated Nick Pace via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
Tags: Chang Sung Jung, Donald Cerrone, George Roop, Jamie Varner, Jose Aldo, Leonard Garcia, Manny Gamburyan, Mark Hominick, miguel torres, Mixed Martial Arts, the korean zombie, WEC 51
Source: MMA Junkie