Ring of Honor emanated live from the Hammerstein Ballroom in New York City for Manhattan Mayhem IV. And if the Internet comments are to be believed it looks to have been one hell of a show. The eight match card culminated with Roderick Strong defending his ROH World Championship against former ROH TV Champion, Eddie Edwards. For Edwards, this was his first time main eventing an ROH event as a singles competitor. He’s shared the main event spotlight in the past with his tag team partner, Davey Richards, wresting as the American Wolves. Not only was it Edwards first time main event as a singles, it was also his first shot at the title.
Roderick Strong, champion since he dethroned Tyler Black at Glory By Honor IX last September, had successfully defended his title against Christopher Daniels, Homicide, Jay Briscoe, El Generico, and even Edwards’ tag partner, Davey Richards, in recent months.
While the Edwards faithful was in full force, there was no expectation that he would walk out the victor, let alone win the title. But win it he did. Now it changes the whole dynamic of ROH’s events on WrestleMania weekend in Atlanta. Edwards will walk into the arena at Honor Takes Center Stage (April 1st) and defend his championship against Christopher Daniels. The two have had an impressive feud of mutual respect, but now the stakes are raised now that the world title is on the line. The next night at the continuation of Honor Takes Center Stage, Edwards will tag with Richards as they take on the Wrestling’s Greatest Tag Team, Shelton Benjamin and Charlie Haas.
The tag team encounter of Adam Cole and Kyle O’Reily versus Michael Elgin and Mike Mondo opened the event. Cole and O’Reilly came out the victors in what has been described as a real fun opener. The reborn version of Steve Corino continues to suffer at the hands of his opponents – tonight losing to Mike Bennett. TJ Perkins almost steals the entire show in his match against El Generico. Crowd chanted “Please come back” for TJ to return. The tag team matches which saw The All-Night Express against The Briscoes and The Kings of Wrestling against LAX both delivered. Hotstuff Hernandez was over like a beast and there was a “double turn” between the ANE and Briscoes.
In what was probably the scariest moment of the night, Davey Richards botched a Shooting Star Press attempt on Christopher Daniels in their match. Richards got no distance and landed belly first on the top rope. Finished was improvised with Richards rolling up Daniels from Angels Wings.
1. Adam Cole and Kyle O’Reily defeat Michael Elgin and Mike Mondo.
2. Tomassio Ciampa over Grizzly Redwood. Embassy beats down Grizzly after. Corino makes the save.
3. Mike Bennett defeats Steve Corino after Brutal Bob punches Steve leading to finish.
4. All-Night Express over The Briscoes. Double turn after the after the match. Briscoes beat down after. Huge Brawl with all four men . ANX are over big. Briscoes take ANX out with chairs and leave. Big ANX chant. Heel heat for the Briscoes.
5. El Generico defeats TJ Perkins. Money moment: Generico catches TJ on suicide dive attempt to floor and hits the brain buster on outside ring apron.
6. Kings of Wrestling over LAX. Claudio hits huge running forearm on Homicide for the win.
7. Davey Richards over Christopher Daniels.
8. Eddie Edwards defeats ROH World Champion Roderick Strong! Roll up out of Achilles Lock.
Tags: Christopher Daniels, Davey Richards, Eddie Edwards, Kings of Wrestling, Manhattan Mayhem, Ring of Honor, Roderick Strong, ROH
Source: Ring of Honor