1. Show opener this week is Roderick Strong against Kyle O’reily. Strong disses O’Reily and TEAM RICHARDS. O’Reily then also disses Team Richards by talkin’ like a knucklehead.
2. I don’t have much to say about O’Reily and Richards in a negative way. It wasn’t that great, but it didn’t kill my spirit to want to watch the rest of the show. I think O’Reily is stuck in a bit of a rut of whether he wants to be straight-up Daveyrific with his style, or whether he should go for the underdog that he has to be because no one really gives a shit about Kyle O’Reily. Seems like he goes for a middle ground of that, and there’s more to his comebacks, in terms of appeal, than you would get in a Davey match, but, there’s also still not quite enough substance behind them. It never felt like Roderick’s win was in doubt because of this.
2a. Kelly trying to sell this as Roderick getting a lot more than he bargained for in wanting a match with someone in Team Richards was also silly. It just didn’t fit the match in the ring. O’Reily certainly didn’t push Roderick to the brink.
3. Is it surprising where the rare promo where Jim Cornette works heelishÂ comes off well? It shouldn’t be. Some fans mention Steen again and Cornette addressed them and mentioned Steen himself. I like the build here and I do like the positioning of Steen as fan favorite and Cornette against the interests of the fans. I really hope that continues. If Cornette is going to be an authority figure, he should do so in the role of denying the fans what they want.
4. Oh, during the O’Reily/Strong match, O’Reily has Strong in a submission, Strong lowers O’Reily’s shoulders to the canvas and O’Reily has to break the hold to avoid to pin. Kevin Kelly says that right there is the difference between pro wrestling and MMA…he says this in a manner where I think his goal was an attempt at convincing that pro wrestlin’ is hella better than MMAn. The difference between pro wrestling and MMA is also that you can structure matches in an effort to try and ensure a dramatic element you can’t always guarantee in MMA. Someone in ROH might want to remember that from time to time.
4a. Also, at the end of it, Roderick and Michael Elgin beat down the vaunted Team Richards. Davey makes the save to little avail, so Eddie Edwards makes the save. Could be slightly interesting to see Eddie continue to save Davey for a stretch, since Davey spent a good bit of time saving Eddie when Eddie had the Title. Or, maybe they were both taking naps in the back and Eddie hit the snooze button once too many times.
5. Tomasso Ciampa (not a poodle, for those confused based on the name) had a squash match against some dude. Went a bit longer than it probably should have, but, hey COMPETITION IS THE NAME OF THE GAME IN RING OF HONOR! Squashes need a hook, I think we talked about that last week. Otherwise, they’re just a waste of time. This probably falls in the latter. Any wrestling company that wants to put squash matches on TV should map out an endgame for what they want to accomplish with the squash. Are you setting up a move? Are you setting up a finish? Do you know who will beat this guy? Otherwise, I guess you’re just crossing your fingers hoping to luck into a Goldberg, right?
6. Josie’s on a vacation far away Come around and talk it over So many things that I wanna say You know I like my girls a little bit older I just wanna use your love tonight I don’t wanna lose your love tonight I ain’t got many friends left to talk to Nowhere to run when I’m in trouble You know I’d do anything for you Stay the night – but keep it undercover I just wanna use your love tonight I don’t wanna lose your love tonight Try to stop my hands from shakin’ Somethin’ in my mind’s not makin’ sense It’s been a while since we’ve been all alone I can’t hide the way I’m feelin’ As you leave me please would you close the door And forget what I told you Just ’cause you’re right – that don’t mean I’m wrong Another shoulder to cry upon I just wanna use your love tonight I don’t wanna lose your love tooooooooooonight Yeah I just wanna use your love tonight I don’t wanna lose your love tonight
7. Jay Lethal talks in front of a red wall slightly scuff-marked.
7a. DIE HARD Eddie Edwards is in front of the same wall and he’s all, Hey Lorenzo, let me ask you something: what sets off a metal detector first? The lead in your ass or the shit in your brains?
8. Standard Briscoes-All Night Express stuff for the Main Event. I’m a little bit fatigued on watching these guys together. I don’t think anyone in the combo does a whole lot to make any of it nuanced, so, it’s particularly draining seeing the matchup constantly. However, if you haven’t watched the TV show you’re probably fine with it.
9. But, still, didn’t All Night Express win a Ladder War match with the Briscoes on an iPPV? This feels like not only are they kicking up too many matches between these guys, but, they’re also reverting the Express back to where they were at the April shows in Atlanta. It feels kind of unnecessary to build up the Briscoes at the expense of the Express.
10. Nigel on commentary drops this one: “You know what they say about Las Vegas? What happens in Las Vegas stays in Las Vegas!” WHAT?! NO KIDDING?! I had no idea people said that! Please, someone tell me he had a punchline I missed by tuning out most of the commentary, because otherwise, damn, that’s pretty weak stuff.
Tags: All Night Express, Briscoe Brothers, Eddie Edwards, Roderick Strong