Reviewing the 1/19/12 episode of IMPACT WRESTLING…
1. Hilariously, it looked like one of the guys sparring with Garett Bischoff in his training video, specifically the one with the red shirt, reminded me of Don West.
2. Winter may have delivered the sexiest beat down of all time. Channelling her inner Catwoman looking mighty fine at that, she used her belt which seconded as a whip to lash ODB in the back making her unable to come out with Eric Young for his match against Angelina Love. Of course after the match ended in DQ, she tried to use it again, but this time EY, who was a victim of the sexy duo’s double team, came back to save ODB. I think it’s safe to say that a lot of guys are envious of EY right now, especially if he ends up actually wrestling or rolling around with Winter Love at some point.
3. The backstage celebration with Tara and Velvet Skey with Mickie James over Mickie’s big cage match victory over Madison Rayne was well done. It was a nice different touch and different side to show after a match. Good to see TNA shake things up a bit. Plus, they were given the opportunity to play up Gail’s all too quick walk to the back on Madison when the ref ordered her to leave.
4. I think it’s pretty obvious that TNA needs to put Austin Aries and the X-Division on every show. Especially when doing in ring segments like this week’s, Austin Aries and the returning Alex Shelley easily had the best segment on the show and was an excellent precursor to the next few installments of their feud now. Shelley faces an opponent of A-Double’s choosing to face and if he wins, earns a title match at the Against All Odds PPV.
5. A little more vicious of a beat down came later in the show when Bully Ray chain-whipped the crap out of Jeff Hardy and James Storm to keep his name alive in the main event hunt. Bully has worked his way up and deserves a shot in the upper echelon of Impact Wrestling. Bobby Roode also laid out both Hardy and Storm and facetiously deemed the match a no contest. More than likely we can expect a three way or even a four way match at Against All Odds if Bully Ray is included in the match.
6. Bumps of the Night:
Referees Brian Stifler and the Hebner family– Brian Hebner taking an awkward looking front bump and his 62 year old Father Earl taking an outside bump from a shot from Bully. Brian Stifler was also knocked off the apron by a Bully shot landing on the padded floor.
Referee train wreck with bodies laying everywhere.
7. Lines of the Night:
a. A-Double Austin Aries – “I mean even right now, all I’m talking about is what I’m going to be talking about in a few minutes and even that’s entertaining.”
This was funny, but went on a few lines too long when he basically repeated himself rephrased.
b. Excerpts from a great Alex Shelley/Austin Aries exchange
A-Double– “You talk about your punk rock and your video games… Are there any men back there to challenge me? I’m sick of having little boys like you step in this ring and think you can do something to take this belt off my shoulder.”
Alex Shelley– “And I’m sick of having a douchebag for a champion in MY division.”
Alex Shelley– “Now I can’t help but notice that the last time you wrestled me you didn’t beat me clean. Sure you hit me with your brainbuster and that hurt. But you also hit me before that. And you didn’t hit me here(motions at head) or here(motions to chest). You hit me here(motions at crotch).”
A-Double– “Well that shouldn’t be a problem, there’s nothing there to hurt.”
Alex Shelley– “(mocking)Ohhhhhhh(with the fans).”
A-Double– “You’re not a threat to me. I’m not scared of you. I’m a little scared of your hair-do, but that’s a whole other issue.”
Alex Shelley– “I’ll do one better… I’ll let you pick the challenger. And after I beat your little boyfriend, I’m coming for you at Against All Odds, Champ.
8. Notable Matches of the Night
#1 Contenders Match for the TNA WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT TITLE
Cowboy James Storm vs. Jeff Hardy
A very good back and forth contest, yes marred by interference but of course on the TV show you aren’t going to get the preferred ending, hell you might not get it at the PPV either the rate TNA finishes their matches on PAY(emphasis)-Per-View either, but it was used effectively to set up a multiple contender match at the PPV. It was entertaining while it lasted.
Steel Cage Match
Mickie James vs. Madison Rayne
Actually one of Rayne’s better matches as usually she brawls with Knockouts. Good to see her up her game utilizing a few more moves against the regularly solid James. A definitive finish and a nice hard hitting match from these two Knockouts. Kudos to them both.
9. Final Show Thoughts:
Magnus and Samoa Joe continue to look like credible contenders agains the tag champions with their attacks on them. I actually like the feud going on between Trailer Park Waffle House(EY & ODB) & Winter Love. Good stuff. The X-Division really showed what type of personalities they have with the returning Shelley who provided a very nice verbal sparring partner for the always witty Austin Aries. Compelling TV there and definitely makes me want to see their match even more. Not a whole lot to write home about, the show was very solid in a lot of areas, but lacked some stuff to put it over the top for me. The second half of the program certainly saved it and was match better in terms of entertainment quality as I didn’t have much to write about at first.
10. IMPACT PLAYERs of the WEEK:
Austin Aries, Alex Shelley, Mickie James, Madison Rayne, James Storm, Jeff Hardy, Winter
Best segment by far was A-Double & Shelley, James vs. Rayne and Storm vs. Hardy were solid while they lasted and Winter was just…ahem…hot as an Arizona Summer this week.
That is all.
You can find me on Twitter as
Tags: 10 Thoughts, 10 Thoughts on TNA IMPACT WRESTLING, Alex Shelley, Angelina Love, Austin Aries, Bobby Roode, Bully Ray, Eric Young, impact wrestling, James Storm, Jeff Hardy, madison rayne, magnus, Mickie James, ODB, Samoa Joe, TNA, tna impact, TNA Wrestling, Winter