Future 2012 WWE Hall of Famer J.J. Dillon joined Mister Saint Laurent on MLW Radio, the official podcast of Major League Wrestling. Dillon spoke about never working as a manager during his time with WWE.
“When Tully and Arn left, the plan was for them to go up there as the Brainbusters with Bobby ‘The Brain’ Heenan,” Dillon said. “For all the success I’ve enjoyed as a manager in wrestling, I will be the first one to tell you that when it comes to the greatest managers of all time, the man at the top of that list is Bobby ‘The Brain’ Heenan. He set the bar for which all the rest of us are measured.”
J.J. also shared Vince McMahon’s approach to presenting talent that had prior success elsewhere:
“Another thing I learned about Vince is that Vince has a tendency to want to create his own thing and even though something had been successful somewhere else, he tended to not get excited about rekindling something that had been successful somewhere else. Vince wanted it to be Vince’s ideas. You can’t argue with success.”
You can listen to part 2 of the interview at MLW.com.
Other Topics Include:
– Knowing how to cater to Vince’s likes and dislikes
– Why he resigned from WWE and signed with WCW at the height of the Monday Night Wars
– Meeting with Eric Bischoff about returning to WCW
– Managing Steve Corino in MLW
– What’s missing on current WWE programming
– Whether he’s working under a WWE Legends contract
– His history with Gary Hart before and during MLW
– Thoughts on working with MLW President Court Bauer as well Court’s time at WWE
– Working as Vince McMahon’s “axe man”
Tags: JJ Dillon, NWA, vince mcmahon, WCW, WWE, wwe hall of fame