Traditionally franchises get worse in the long run. Horror sequels are an easy recipe for success up until the audience grows bored. But mainstream releases are tricky. Oftentimes a successful release may get a sequel, but rarely will the franchise get past three films before someone signals a need for a reboot. That’s what makes the Fast & Furious series such a peculiarity. What makes it so peculiar is that the series has gotten better as it continues to rev along.
After bettering the worldwide totals of Fast Five by more than $200 million, Fast & Furious 6 makes its arrival as an explosive extended edition Blu-ray combo pack this December.
Director Justin Lin and screenwriter Chris Morgan team up for their fourth Fast & Furious collaboration and are joined by Fast veterans Vin Diesel, Paul Walker, Jordana Brewster, Tyrese Gibson, Chris “Ludacris” Bridges, Sung Kang, plus newcomers Luke Evans and Gina Carano. Dwayne Johnson also reprises his role from Fast Five.
The Blu-ray Combo Pack arrives December 16, 2013 and includes a Blu-ray, DVD, and Digital HD with Ultraviolet for those who like to watch their films while they are on the move. It also includes a number of exclusive behind-the-scenes featurettes in addition to an extended version of the film.
Planes, Tanks and Automobiles
· The London Chase — Gives viewers a front-row seat for the filming of a sprawling car chase through the streets of one of the world’s most historic—and congested—cities. Examines how director Justin Lin and his team pulled off car-flipping mayhem on a breathtaking scale.
• Highway Heist: The Convoy Attack — A first-hand account of a meticulously planned and executed action sequence, as Dominic’s gang saves the day in this high-velocity battle featuring a tank, an armored cargo carrier and a harpoon.
• The Antonov Takedown — An exploration of what went into creating Fast & Furious 6’s spectacular finale sequence, featuring the world’s largest plane, including first- and second-unit filming, special effects, visual effects, car rigging, stunt drivers, green-screen shooting and more.
• Dom and Letty Race Again – Vin Diesel and Michelle Rodriguez reunite on screen.
Gearhead’s Delight — From the shop to the test track, to the set and back again, a look at the latest hot cars showcased in Fast & Furious 6. Narrated by car lover Paul Walker, this piece features Dom’s latest Charger, Brian’s Nissan Skyline GTR, the BMW M5’s, the Alfa Romeo and the classic cars from the film’s car-auction scene.
The FLIP Car — Provides an inside look at the Fast franchise’s newest mind-blowing vehicle—the pivoting FLIP car. Dennis McCarthy, the film’s picture car coordinator, will take us through the coolest parts of this truly astonishing vehicle, and the destruction it leaves in its wake.
Hand-to-Hand Fury — This jam-packed featurette offers viewers a detailed look at the rehearsals, choreography, stunt work and filming of some of Fast & Furious 6’s most bone-jarring fight sequences.
These next features can be found on both the Blu-ray and standard DVD.
· Deleted Scenes
The Making of Fast & Furious 6
· The Fastest of Them All — Chronicles the epic saga of the Fast films from chapters three through six. Justin Lin and his team reveal how they brought new energy to the franchise, creating a dynamic multi-movie story arc.
· Reuniting the Team — Explores the characters (and actors) that make up the Fast family, with a focus on founding partners Dom and Brian (and Vin and Paul).
· Letty’s Return — Heralded by a crowd-pleasing cliffhanger in Fast Five, Michelle Rodriguez (“Letty”) makes a dramatic return in the sixth installment. This short feature explores how the creative team engineered her resurrection.
· The Mastermind and The Mole — Viewers meet Fast “newbies” Luke Evans (“Shaw”) and Gina Carano (“Riley”) as they share their experience joining the cast of Fast & Furious 6 and how their characters fit into the new plot.
On the Set with Vin — Vin Diesel talks through a stunt he is about to perform and then rides his hot rod through an explosion, coming out unscathed.
Feature Commentary with Director Justin Lin
Vin Diesel, Paul Walker, Dwayne Johnson and Michelle Rodriguez lead a cast of returning all-stars as the global blockbuster franchise built on speed delivers the biggest adrenaline rush yet in this explosive extended version. Hobbs (Johnson) has been tracking an organization of lethally skilled drivers, whose mastermind (Luke Evans) is aided by the love Dom (Diesel) thought was dead, Letty (Rodriguez). The only way to stop the criminal mercenaries from stealing a top secret weapon is to outmatch them at street level, so Hobbs asks for the help of Dom and his elite team. Payment for the ultimate chase? Full pardons for all of them and a chance to make their families whole again.
Tags: Disc Announcements, Fast & Furious 6, Fast Five, Justin Lin, Paul Walker, Universal Studios Home Entertainment, Vin Diesel