Fans clamoring to see Anderson Silva get another shot at Chris Weidman will have to wait awhile.
The champion has called out challenger Vitor Belfort instead and it appears that UFC head honcho Dana White also seems keen on the Weidman/Belfort match-up.
“We want to make that fight happen,” UFC President Dana White told reporters in Dublin on Friday. “That’s the next fight. That fight should’ve already happened before the Machida. That’s the fight we want to do and that’s the fight that Chris Weidman wants. I love this kid calling out Vitor.”
Always an enigmatic personality, White seemed genuinely excited about Weidman taking ownership of his title and calling out challengers head-on.
“The champ wants to fight Vitor Belfort, man. I don’t blame him, I would too.”
Weidman (12-0) was originally scheduled to defend his belt against Belfort at UFC 173, but as previously reported, Belfort’s use of testosterone replacement therapy withdrew from the fight less than 24 hours after the Nevada Athletic Commission (NAC) banned the controversial treatment.
Silva has echoed the same sentiment. As a recent press conference in Brazil, the love-him-or-hate-him fighter said that he wasn’t thinking about locking horns with Weidman
“Rematch with Chris Weidman is something that is not in my plans,” Silva said. “He already defeated me twice, everybody saw this.”
Credit: BleacherReport.com, MMAFighting.com, Latino Post
Tags: anderson silva, Chris Weidman, Dana White, Vitor Belfort