- Dark Horse Presents 2014 #8 Grell Var Cvr – Of course I’m going to get the Mike Grell variant cover. I’m getting this for the GROO story arc. The stories in DHP #7 were fun, so I’m expecting more of the same. Not sure if I’ll keeping getting this past Groo’s stint though.
- Divinity #2 – The story started out pretty interesting, like a Grant Morrison early 90s Vertigo story more than what we usually see from Valiant. I’m interested to see where this goes.
- G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero #211 – Well this series is backed up for the foreseeable future. Let’s see what Hama has in store for Serpentor and exactly what happens to Snake Eyes in this story arc. Is he actually going to die? Probably not.
- Groo Friends & Foes #3 – GROO! MULCH! CHEESE DIP! FRAY! I like groo. Plus it’s an Abra and Dakabra story, so it’s bound to be great.
- Ivar, Timewalker #3 – a really fun story. If you’ve missed the first few issues go back and get them or buy the trade when it hits. You won’t be disappointed.
- Trinity of Sin #6 – Not JMD’s best work by any stretch but I’ll finish the story arc out of kindness for the author and my love of both the Question and Phantom Stranger. It’s been pretty bad though.
* Interlude *
Mike Maillaro: Alexander, I’m a huge Mike Grell fan! Warlord for life!
Alexander: I have the full run of the original Warlord series in my closet. Great, great comic.
Mike: My friend Chris has it, and I literally borrowed the entire collection. Loved them so much!
John Babos: Oh, Chris is a huge Warlord and Grell fan in general.
Alexander:I loved Warlord enough that I even got every issue of the Bart Sears remake!
Mike: I bought the first few issues, but I definitely prefer Warlord under Grell. At one time, I was literally walking a mile from work to the closest comic shop to get two books. Grell’s Warlord relaunch and New Exiles.
- Chrononauts #1 – I am rarely disappointed by a Mark Millar mini-series (so long as it’s not Kick-Ass related), so I’d probably be on board for this time travel series anyway, but with Sean Murphy drawing it, I am very excited to see this comic. Murphy’s recent work on his own Punk Rock Jesus (a brilliant comic) and The Wake has really upped his profile, and this sounds like the type of comic that he will make look very cool.
- Invisible Republic #1 – Married team Corinna Bechko and Gabriel Hardman have done some very good comics of late – Star Wars Legacy, Planet of the Apes, Savage Hulk, and Deep Gravity – and so I’m excited to see what they do with their own concept and characters. This is a sci-fi series from Image, and is sure to be great.
- Moon Knight #13 – I’ve been a fan of Cullen Bunn’s writing for a while now, and am intrigued to see what he’s going to do with Moon Knight after Warren Ellis and Brian Wood’s very different arcs. He’s more conventional than those two writers, but also has a very good understanding of what makes difficult characters work. This should be cool.
- Ivar, Timewalker #3 – This new Valiant series has quickly become a favourite of mine, mostly for the way in which writer Fred Van Lente has maintained the sense of humour he used in Archer & Armstrong. This is a very good read.
- Alex + Ada #13 – I haven’t read a lot of romance comics in my day, and I definitely haven’t read many where one of the characters is a robot, but even if I’d read thousands by now, I think this series would stand out for its originality, sensitivity, and beauty. I love this book.
- ALL-NEW CAPTAIN AMERICA #5
- AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #16.1
- BATGIRL #40
- BATGIRL: ENDGAME
- BATMAN ETERNAL #50 (of 52)
- CAPTAIN AMERICA and the MIGHTY AVENGERS #6
- SENSATION COMICS feat. WONDER WOMAN #8
- SILK #2
- SUPERMAN #39
- UNBEATABLE SQUIRREL GIRL #3
The final showdown between Babs and her computer counterpart. I’m biting my nails in anticipation. I assume all ends well for Babs since the title picks up again in June. My real curiosity comes with there being a new Oracle in the streamlined DCU.
The Joker has caused more mayhem than ever before in his long life. Aside from offering other perspectives of handling the lunacy, this one-shot may be a subtle/covert launching pad for a newer title debuting in June.
After the surprise ending of the last page of last month’s ish, I’m dying to know what happens next!! I’m glad I’ve been reading this run (secretly). That big reveal was a payoff for someone like me who took a chance on a flailing title featuring DC’s major player.
- Guardians Team-Up #3 – Okay Marvel. I defended you when you did two issues of Guardians Team-up in back to back weeks…but three in a row is getting a little excessive. Thankfully this is a fairly small week of comics for me, and I really enjoyed the first issue (have not read the second when I am typing this). But still, this is just brutal on my wallet. Don’t make me drop books I enjoy because of bad editoral policy. Secret Wars will probably cause enough of that…
- Chrononauts #1 – Loved MPH and Starlight last year, so this is one of the Image titles I am most excited about. Millar has really been on his game lately and I love time travel stories. I am sure I will probably end up reviewing this one.
- Divinity #2 – I read the first issue of this like 4 times since it came out a month ago, and I still can’t figure out the last page. I really enjoyed the issue until that point, so I will deginitely be back for another issue.
- Princess Leia #2 – Honestly, Princess Leia’s first issue was a slight disappointment, but I still mostly enjoyed it. I hope it has a huge upswing in quality, this is too good a creative team to disappoint.
- Groo Friends And Foes #3 – Loved the first two issues! I really hope that Dark Horse keeps Groo on our comic shelves again for a long time! 12 issues is not enough!!
- Ivar Timewalker #3 – Last issue’s scenes with all the time travellers trying to kill Hitler was just about the greatest scene I’ve read this year. I was always a fan of Ivar, and this series has been the perfect showcase for the character. I just hope that Archer and Armstrong stop in soon. I miss those guys!
- All-New Captain America #5 – This series has been insane!!! So many BIG things have happened. I can’t help but think there has to be a reset button waiting somewhere in this arc…but so far it’s been high octane and a great way to launch Falcon as Captain America.
- I also just realized that we only have 3 issues left of Batman Eternal, Earth 2: World’s End, and New 52 Future’s End. I have been enjoying all three books, but I will admit they have felt like they were dragging some lately just to make it to April. I think DC should have made them a little more organic. The hard stop deadline has made several of the last few issues of all three series feel very padded just to get to the finish line.
- Captain America And The Mighty Avengers #6 – This book did stumble a little during it’s relaunch in Axis, but the last few issues have been much more on track. I had called this my favorite Marvel book towards the end of volume 1, and it’s definitely swinging back in that direction!
- Silk #2 – The first issue of Silk was a real pleasant surprise. It ended up being far better than I expected, and they set up some intriguing threads. I am really looking forward to seeing where this series goes from here.
- Red One #1: “What happens when America’s greatest hero . . . is actually a Russian spy?” Sounds like a smashingly awesome premise to me! I’ve never watched FX’s “The Americans”, but I suppose this will be somewhat similar in theme, but with SUPER POWERS!
- Princess Leia #2: I wasn’t overly excited about the first issue, but it was Star Wars, so I figured I’d check it out. Leave it to writer Mark Waid to put together a great story featuring the saga’s arguably least interesting character, and make me a big fan of Princess Leia (the character and the comic)
- Silk #2: First issue was a winner. Classic Spider-Man dilemma of balancing crime fighting with a regular life, but also with an overarching story concerning Silk’s missing family. Comparisons with Spider-Gwen are going to be inevitable, but so far I’m going with Silk’s book.
- Earth 2 World’s End #24 & New 52 Futures End #46 – Convergence is almost here. The fate of this Batman Beyond will be decided as a new one emerges post-Convergence.
- Green Lantern New Guardians #40 – Curious how this feeds into that post-Convergence Omega Men #1 solicitation for June.
- Ivar Timewalker #3 – Loves those immortal brothers Anni-Padda.
- Teen Titans #8 – Curious how this leads into post-Convergence issues as a former New 52 TT returns soon.
Tags: Pull List Roundtable