Happy New Comics Day and welcome to What To Look Forward To!
Here is a quick look at some highlights on the shelves this week, plus another breakdown of a few Convergence titles. This is a good week for new readers with lots of new arcs in several series. So let’s dive in…
Fade Out #5 – Written by Ed Brubaker, Art and Cover by Sean Phillips
Hexed #9 – Written by Michael Alan Nelson, Art and Cover by Dan Mora
- A new arc of the critically acclaimed series starts here! This has been a recent favorite of mine. I bought it because it was a #1 but was hooked by the characters and the knowledge and use of supernatural elements.
Lumberjanes #13 – Written by Shannon Watters, Art and Cover by Brooke A Allen
- Co-creator Brooke Allen returns to Lumberjanes for this stand-alone issue suitable for new readers. We finally get to see how all the girls met!
B.P.R.D. Hell On Earth #130 – Written by Mike Mignola, Art by Peter Snejbjerg, Cover by Laurence Campbell
- A new arc begins, Dark Horse says this is a fine jumping on point for new readers.
Archie vs. Predator #1 – Written by Alex De Campi, Art by Rich Koslowski, various covers (Francesco Francavilla cover shown)
- This is one crossover I never saw coming but am very excited for. The Archie world has had this cool resurgence lately, such as Afterlife with Archie and the reboot coming up in a couple months with Mark Waid (Kingdom Come, Daredevil) and Fiona Staples (Saga, Mystery Society). I’d be interested in seeing even more crossovers like this.
Sabrina #2 – Written by Roberto Aguirre Sacasa, Art by Robert Hack, various covers
- Need a recap on issue #1? Understandable, it came out about six months ago. Basically, we see the early years of Sabrina’s life as her father leaves her with his sisters, her cousin moves in, and she begins high school. Elsewhere, Betty and Veronica conjured up an old ‘friend’. This series takes a similar tone to Afterlife with Archie; dark and spooky spins on classic characters. I wasn’t ‘wowed’ by this first issue but I’m willing to give it another shot.
Honestly, this week’s lineup is a little less exciting than last, but next week has some of the books I’ve been looking forward to most. Here’s what we got…
Aquaman – Written by Antony Bedard, Art by Cliff Richards, Cover by Becky Cloonan
- Going back to old-school Arthur with a hook for a hand, and now he’s facing Deathblow? This is really a throwback, and it should be an interesting brawl.
Batman Shadow of The Bat – Written by Larry Hama, Art and Cover by Philip Tan (shown)
- We return to the Knightfall days, with a grudge match throwdown between Batman and Azrael.
Catwoman – Written by Justin Gray, Art by Ron Randall, Cover by Claire Wendling
- One year in the dome, a straight-laced Selina Kyle has to take on a familiar yet strange friend, Kingdom Come Batman!
Green Arrow – Written by Christy Marx, Art and Cover by Rags Morales
- Oliver Queen and and son Connor Hawke fighting side by side or against each other?
Suicide Squad – Written by Frank Tieri, Art by Tom Mandrake, Cover by John Paul Leon
- Kingdom Come’s New Oa floating over The Dome, Amanda Waller and the Suicide Squad must stop it.
Supergirl Matrix – Written by Keith Giffen, Art by Timothy Green, Cover by Howard Porter
- Supergirl, Lady Quark, and Ambush Bug on the same team? With veteran Keith Giffen behind the pen, this is sure to be a funny one.
That’s it for this week, happy reading everyone!
Tags: What To Look Forward To