Welcome to What To Look Forward To!
Here is a quick look at some highlights on the shelves this week, plus a review of last month’s Convergence titles corresponding with what’s coming out today. Marvel’s Secret Wars continues with a bunch of tie-ins this week as well. A few other new series out, so let’s dive in…
Oh, Killstrike #1 – Written by Max Benis; Art and regular Cover by Logan Faerber (shown at right); multiple variant covers
- A new father, fearing parenthood and all those other adult things, turns back to comics from his youth and unwittingly sets free his favorite character, Killstrike. Hilarity ensues. We’ve all imagined that ‘what if’ scenario, right? This is Bemis’ third original series (after Polarity and Evil Empire) and, similar to Polarity, seems to be very personal, Bemis being a somewhat new father himself. He is also the frontman for rock band Say Anything.
Kaptara #2 – Written by Chip Zdarsky; Art and Cover by Kagan McLeod
- #1 was pretty good, but not what I was expecting. I’m liking all of Zdarsky’s other works (Sex Criminals, Howard the Duck) so I’m gonna be continuing on.
Archie Vs Predator #2 – Written by Alex De Campi; Art by Rich Koslowski; Regular Cover by Dan Parent, variant covers by Dustin Nguyen and Robert Hack
Mad Max: Fury Road – Nux & Immortan Joe #1 – Written by George Miller; Art by Riccardo Burchielli; Cover by Tommy Lee Edwards
- A prelude to the new movie, this one should rock!
Dirk Gently’s Holistic Detective Agency #1 – Written by Chris Ryall; Art and regular Cover by Tony Akins, variant covers by Robert Hack and Rob Guillory (shown at right)
- Douglas Adams’ beloved detective comes to IDW! This not an adaptation of the novel by the same name, but an entirely new series!
Insufferable #1 – Written by Mark Waid; Art and Cover by Peter Krause
- A story of an arrogant former superhero sidekick by Mark Waid (DC’s Kingdom Come and the upcoming Archie reboot), this digital-first series comes to print! This meant to be the final chapter in Waid/Krause original series Irredeemable.
Satellite Sam #14 – Written by Matt Fraction; Art and Cover by Howard Chaykin
- The next to final issue of Fraction and Chaykin’s hit series! If you haven’t read the rest of the series, now is a great time to start collecting the TPBs, Vols 1 and 2 are out now.
Trees #9 – Written by Warren Ellis; Art and Cover by Jason Howard
- The second story arc of this critically acclaimed series begins! The TPB for issues #1-8 is out now.
Marvel’s heavy-hitting, universe-changing summer event really kicks into gear this week with the start of Battleworld plus 7 tie-ins, including 6 new #1’s! For reviews and thoughts on Secret Wars and all tie-ins, check out Paul Miranda’s Secret Wars Declassified articles. Here’s a checklist of what’s new…
Secret Wars: Battleworld #1
Loki Agent of Asgard #14 (Last Days)
Ultimate End #1 (Battleworld)
Master of Kung Fu #1 (Battleworld)
A-Force #1 (Warzones!) (shown at right)
Deadpool’s Secret Secret Wars #1 (Warzones!)
Planet Hulk #1 (Warzones!)
Spider-Verse #1 (Warzones!)
This week had some of my favorite stories. Let’s take a look…
Adventures of Superman – It’s cool to see Marv Wolfman doing his own throwback to Crisis on Infinite Earths. It will also be interesting to see if Superman and Supergirl are meant to be the champions for the fight, given that they’re trapped outside their world! Crisis indeed!
Green Lantern Corps – I’d like to read more Green Lantern stories, but most I come across feature Hal Jordan and I don’t find him a very interesting character. That’s why I was glad to see this issue was mostly about Guy Gardner.
Swamp Thing – Another cool Convergence tie-in, this issue focused on Swamp Thing’s backstory, his relationship with Abigail Arcane, and his struggles with being separated from the Green. It was also cool seeing that he’s being matched up against the vampires from Batman: Red Rain, who are also facing…
Wonder Woman – This is by far my favorite issue of Convergence so far, series or tie-in! I was a bit surprised since the Red Rain series wasn’t my favorite Batman story, but this was very very cool.
After tomorrow, only one week left of Convergence! So until then…
That’s it for now, happy reading everyone! See you next week.
Tags: What To Look Forward To