Welcome to What To Look Forward To!
Here is a quick look at some highlights on the shelves this week’s #NCBD. Marvel’s Secret Wars continues with a bunch of tie-ins, and I’ve included a list of TPBs I’d recommend checking out soon. A few #1’s out and some cool stuff from Image, so let’s take a look…
Will Eisner’s The Spirit #1 – Written by Matt Wagner; Art by Dan Schkade; Regular Cover by Eric Powell, variant covers by Matt & Brennan Wagner, Alex Ross, & John Cassaday
- To celebrate 75 years of The Spirit, Dynamite begins this all-new ongoing series written by Eisner Award-winning writer Matt Wagner. The mystery surrounding The Spirit’s 2-year disappearance under investigation, this promises to be a treat for old and new readers alike.
Bob’s Burgers #1 – Written by various; Art and Regular Cover by Frank Forte; additional Art and Variant Covers by various
- Bob’s Burgers returns as an ongoing series! (If you haven’t read the original series, I highly recommend you do.) Written by the creators of the hit TV show comes more tales of the Belcher family, and we can’t get enough. This is one you’ll want to get in on now.
Barb Wire #1 – Written by Chris Warner; Art by Pat Olliffe; Covers by Adam Hughes
- Barb Wire returns! Not in print since 1996, Warner and Ollife bring our heroine back to Dark Horse. Given that it’s been almost 20 years since the last story, this should be a fine jump-on point for new readers.
We Stand On Guard #1 – Written by Brian K. Vaughan; Art and Cover by Steve Skroce
- The “action-packed military thriller that will have everyone talking” is out today! Set 100 years in the future, a band of Canadian civilians defend themselves and their country from invading American robots! With Brian K. Vaughan at the helm and Steve Skroce at the pen, this is sure to be one you don’t want to miss. Happy Canada Day!
Punks The Comic CBLDF Special – Written by Joshua Hale Fialkov; Art and Cover by Kody Chamberlin
- I recently finished the Punks series released late last year, and I can’t wait to get my hands on more. I can’t begin to describe what this series is really like, but Skull, Fist, Dog, and Abe Lincoln (no, those are not nicknames) will leave a lasting impression on any reader. With 20% of profits going to the Comic Book Legal Defense Fund, how could afford to pass on this?
The Wicked + The Divine #12 – Written by Kieron Gillen; Art and Cover A by Jamie McKelvie; Cover B by Kate Brown
- A new arc begins as different guest artists join for each issue: First up, Kate Brown! If you read issue #11, you know why issue #12 will be a big deal. Where do we go from here? “It was never going to be okay.”
Chew #50 – Written by John Layman; Art and Cover by Rob Guillory
- The best-selling awarding-winning series reaches landmark issue #50!
Zero #18 – Written by Ales Kot; Art by Tula Lotay; Cover A by Tula Lotay & Tom Muller, Cover B by Tom Muller
- The final issue of this critically acclaimed series hits the shelves! Check out the TPBs if you aren’t caught up on the series (listed below), and pick up Kot’s new series Material while you’re at it.
Satellite Sam #15 – Written by Matt Fraction; Art and Cover by Howard Chaykin
- The final issue! I recall hearing a rumor of a second volume popping up at HeroesCon, and I’m really hoping that happens. This was a provocative murder mystery from issue #1 and I couldn’t get enough. This series made me a fan of Chaykin’s, and I’m always looking forward to new work from him. If you haven’t read this series, I highly recommend picking up the first TPB, collecting issues #1-5.
If you’re having a dry week trying to find new stories, check out these TPBs soon…
Batman: Arkham Origins TPB
Autumnlands Vol. 1 Tooth & Claw TPB
Chew Vol. 1 Taster’s Choice TPB
Punks The Comics Vol. 1 Nutpuncher TPB
Supreme Blue Rose TPB
The Wicked + The Divine Vol. 1 The Faust Act TPB
The Wicked + The Divine Vol. 2 The Fandemonium TPB
Zero Vol. 1 An Emergency TPB
Zero Vol. 2 At The Heart Of It All TPB
Zero Vol. 3 Tenderness Of Wolves TPB
S.H.I.E.L.D. Vol. 1 Perfects Bullets TPB
While I won’t be keeping up with Secret Wars myself, check out Paul Miranda’s Secret Wars Declassified for all the details and what’s been going on. Here’s a checklist of all the tie-ins coming out this week:
Secret Wars #5
Secret Wars Journal #3
Inhumans: Attilan Rising #3 (Battleworld)
Master of Kung Fu #3 (Battleworld)
Red Skull #1 (Battleworld)
Ultimate End #3 (Battleworld)
Future Imperfect #3 (Warzones)
Giant Size Little Marvel: AvX #2 (Warzones)
Hail Hydra #1 (Warzones)
Amazing Spider-Man Renew Your Vows #3 (Warzones)
Squadron Sinister #2 (Warzones)
X-Tingction Agenda #2 (Warzones)
What else are you getting this week? Looking for another recommendation? Find me on Twitter @4ColorPhil
That’s it for now, happy reading everyone! See you next week.
Tags: What To Look Forward To