Welcome to What To Look Forward To!
Here is a quick look at some highlights on the shelves this week. Marvel’s Secret Wars continues with a bunch of tie-ins, and I’ve included a list of TPBs I recommend. Several exciting #1’s debut this week, so let’s dive in…
Archie #1 – Written by Mark Waid, Art and Regular Cover by Fiona Staples; Several Variant Covers by Various
- One of the longest running and most beloved comic book franchises starts anew! With Mark Waid (Kingdom Come, Daredevil) and Fiona Staples (Saga, North 40) behind their respective pens, this is bound to be something very special. Plus, with several variant covers by some of today’s top artists, you won’t want to miss out on this one!
Strange Fruit #1 – Written by J.G. Jones & Mark Waid; Art and Cover by J.G.Jones
- Also with Mark Waid at the helm, this story tells us of a small town in 1927 Mississippi during a flood, where racial and social tensions are rising as high as the water. Early previews show the art alone is at least worth the price of admission.
Mad Max Fury Road: Max #1 – Written by George Miller, Nico Lathouris, & Mark Sexton; Art by Mark Sexton; Cover by Tommy Lee Edwards
- Though the previous issue (Furiosa) let quite a few fans down, I’m still hopeful for this final prequel to the hit movie. If you missed any issues, the TPB collecting all stories is out August 26th.
Star Trek/Green Lantern #1 – Written by Mike Johnson; Art by Angel Hernandez; Regular Covers by Gabriel Rodriguez, Francesco Francavilla; & Else Charretier, SUB Connecting Variant by Garry Brown
- This was another crossover series I was not expecting but am very excited for this year! Focusing on the Captain Kirk generation of Star Trek as depicted in the J.J. Abrams films, the crew meet up with DC’s Universal guardians. It looks like several Lanterns, Green and otherwise, will be involved, so this seems to be a must-have for any DC or Star Trek fan.
Saga #30 – Written by Brian K. Vaughan; Art and Cover by Fiona Staples
- The conclusion to the fifth arc!
Star Wars: Lando #1 – Written by Charles Soule; Art by Alex Maleev; Variant Covers by Various
- The latest in Marvel’s new Star Wars series, this focuses on everyone’s favorite smooth-talkin’ and gamblin’ city leader. With the other Star Wars series focusing on the time in between Episodes IV & V, this one probably will too, as Lando and Lobot attempt to steal an important ship.
Invader Zim #1 – Written by Eric Trueheart; Art by Aaron Alexovich, Megan Lawton, & Rikki Simons; Regular Cover by Aaron Alexovich; Variant Covers by Various
- The cult-favorite TV-series returns to comics! While the original creator will be monitoring the production of this series rather than writing, it is being written and drawn by original showrunners including Rikki Simons, the voice of Gir!
If you’re having a dry week trying to find new stories, check out these TPBs soon…
Aquaman: Sub-Diego (New This Week)
Batman: The Jiro Kuwata Batmanga Vol. 1
Batman: The Jiro Kuwata Batmanga Vol. 2 (New This Week)
Nowhere Men Vol. 1 Fates Worse Than Death
Saga Vols. 1-4
Shutter Vol. 1 Wanderlost
Shutter Vol. 2 Way of The World (New This Week)
They’re Not Like Us Vol. 1 Black Holes For The Young (New This Week)
(For more recommendations, see previous “What To Look Forward To” TPB sections, starting from 06/10/15)
While I won’t be keeping up with Secret Wars myself, check out Paul Miranda’s Secret Wars Declassified for all the details and what’s been going on. Here’s a checklist of all the tie-ins coming out this week:
Amazing Spider-Man Renew Your Vows #2
Ghost Racers #2
Age of Apocalypse #1
Civil War #1
Master of Kung-Fu #3
Mrs. Deadpool and The Howling Commandos #2
Secret Wars 2099 #3
Squadron Sinister #2
What else are you getting this week? Looking for another recommendation? Find me on Twitter @4ColorPhil
That’s it for now, happy reading everyone! See you next week.
Tags: What To Look Forward To