Just in time for San Diego Comic Con (SDCC) International 2015, writer-artist and comics legend Jim Starlin announced to Hollywood Reporter that he was bringing back his fan fave creation Dreadstar to comics while a TV series for the character was in development.
Jim Starlin noted that:
- “I’ve been poking around an idea and with the TV show in development, I can start in on it.”
“Drawing for me is a love-hate thing. It’s a younger person’s job. And so I tend to write for other people. But with this particular thing, I’m at a point financially that I can do whatever I want to at this point… and this is what I want to do. Right now I’m trying to decide what I want to Dreadstar’s uniform to look like.”
It is not clear if this is a continuation of his previous series or a reboot of some kind.
2016 also caps off Jim Starlin’s Thanos and Infinity [add subtitle here as there are so many ;) ] run for Marvel with Thanos: The Infinity Finale. Jim Starlin is credited as creating Drax the Destroyer and Gamora, characters that featured predominately in the smash movie hit Guardians of the Galaxy along with Thanos who is set to tangle with the Avengers on the silver screen.
While Jim Starlin has done a lot for Marvel’s sci-fi properties, he is most associated with Thanos and his related “Infinity” series:
- Warlock #9-15 (writer/artist, 1975–76)
- The Thanos Quest, miniseries, #1-2 (1990)
- Infinity Gauntlet, miniseries, #1-6 (1991)
- Infinity War, miniseries, #1-6 (1992)
- Warlock and the Infinity Watch #1-31 (1992–94)
- Infinity Crusade, miniseries, #1-6 (1993)
- Infinity Abyss, miniseries, #1-6 (2002)
- Thanos #1-6 (2003–04)
- Thanos Annual #1 (2014)
- Thanos: The Infinity Revelation, graphic novel (2014)
- Thanos vs. Hulk, miniseries, #1-4 (2015)
- Thanos: The Infinity Relativity, graphic novel (2015)
- Thanos: The Infinity Finale, graphic novel (2016)
Looks like fans will get lots more of Jim Starlin creations and work in 2016 and beyond as he is also working on six separate creator-pwned projects yet to be announced.