Welcome to What To Look Forward To!
Here is a quick look at some highlights on the shelves this week. Marvel’s Secret Wars continues with a big list of tie-ins, and I’ve included a list of TPBs I recommend. Now, let’s jump in…
Plutona #1 – Written by Jeff Lemire & Emi Lennox; Art and Cover by Emi Lennox
- I first heard about this series while attending Emerald City ComiCon where Lemire and Lennox were table-neighbors, and I have been excited since. I haven’t read much of Lennox, but Lemire always spins an interesting tale. The plot and art look interesting, and you still can’t go wrong with Image lately.
John Flood #2 – Written by Justin Jordan; Art and Cover by Jorge Coelho
- I was pleasantly surprised by this series’ first issue last month. Original and interesting story, intriguing characters, and eye-popping art made for a strong opening chapter. What follows is sure to be a wild ride. If you didn’t catch #1, I highly recommend you do asap.
Toil And Trouble #1 – Written by Mairghread Scott; Art and Regular Cover by Kyla Vanderklugt; Variant Covers by Sonny Liew & Haemi Jang
- Originally titled Third Witch and based on the Shakespeare classic, this series focuses on three witches as a kind behind-the-scenes story to Macbeth. I really enjoy “alternate takes” on classic stories, like Tom Stoppard’s “Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead” and Ryan North’s “To Be Or Not To Be”, both based from Hamlet. This should be an interesting take, even if you haven’t read or seen the original Macbeth. If you enjoy the series, I’d recommend checking out the source material, as well as those mentioned above.
Deadpool vs. Thanos #1 – Written by Tim Seeley; Art by Elmo Bondoc; Regular Cover by Tradd Moore; Variant Covers by Alex Alonso & Ron Lim
- Deadpool and Thanos share an ex-girlfriend? Find out what happens when the two must team up to deal the effects of her not doing her job!
The Dying & The Dead #3 – Written by Jonathan Hickman; Art and Cover by Ryan Bodenheim
- The only reason I’m mentioning this issue today is because of the delays the series has experienced. So much so, that issues #4-7 are currently labeled “cancelled to be resolicitied”, meaning it will come back, but there’s no set schedule yet. Find these issues if you can soon because it may be awhile until we see them again. Then check out Hickman’s East of West.
If you’re having a dry week trying to find new stories, check out these collected editions soon…
Lady Killer TPB (new this week)
Mad Max Fury Road TPB (new this week)
Suicide Squad: Trial By Fire TPB New Edition (new this week)
Last Days of The American Crime Vol 1 HC (new this week)
To Be Or Not To Be by Ryan North
East of West Vols 1-4
Gotham Central Vol 1 In The Line Of Duty (see my review of these Gotham Central issues here!)
(For more recommendations, see previous “What To Look Forward To” TPB sections, starting from 06/10/15)
While I won’t be keeping up with Secret Wars myself, check out Paul Miranda’s Secret Wars Declassified for all the details and what’s been going on. Here’s a checklist of all the tie-ins coming out this week:
- Age of Apocalypse #3
- Age of Ultron vs Marvel Zombies #4
- Future Imperfect #5
- Giant Size Little Marvel AvX #4
- Hail Hydra #2
- House of M #2
- Secret Wars #6
- Silk #7
- Silver Surfer #14
- Spider-Island #3
- Star-Lord & Kitty Pride #3
- Thors #3
What else are you getting this week? Looking for more recommendations? Find me on Twitter @4ColorPhil
That’s it for now, happy reading everyone! See you next week.
Tags: What To Look Forward To