Possible spoilers follow.
At the recent Television Critics Association (TCA) summer press tour, the actor behind CBS’ Bull, including former NCIS actor Michael Weatherly now Dr. Jason Bull, had some interesting words about taking on the new series and his departure from NCIS. “Dr. Phil”, who Dr. Jason Bull is partially inspired by, also had some revealing commentary.
Weatherly on why he left NCIS and how he went out.
- It came about at the right time. I was burnt out by NCIS and I was ready for a new challenge.
Sometimes change is as good as a rest.
It really felt like a circle that had gone all the way around and I really felt happy with the resolution of character and my time on the show.
Weatherly on Bull and differences with NCIS.
- Bull is a big show with a lot of characters. It’s complex. I solve problems the same way as an actor but it really requires a lot of different muscles.
I have to say it’s also a relief not to have wear a gun everyday.
In Bill, Micheal Weatherly plays Dr. Jason Bull who runs a trial consulting firm. This modeled on Dr. Phil McGraw’s early career prior to his TV success. McGraw had provided his legal consulting expertise for Oprah Winfrey in a legal matter involving Texas cattle ranchers suing her for defamation. She liked his approach and then had him on her show; the rest is history.
Dr. Phil McGraw on how real Bull is to his pre-TV life.
- It’s not autobiographical, it’s not biographical, it’s ‘inspired by. This is fiction.
Dr. Phil McGraw on the casting of Michael Weatherly.
- It’s just an absolute home run.
Actor Michael Weatherly on the similarities between his NCIS Special Agent Anthony DiNozzo and Dr. Jason Bull characters.
- DiNozzo was a guy who [wanted] validation and approval and was very hungry for that, and Bull is not hungry for that.
He doesn’t need that, but both characters are fascinated by human behavior.
CBS Bull Season 1 premieres on Tuesday, September 20 at 9 p.m. on CBS just after NCIS at 8 p.m. and before NCIS: New Orleans at 10 p.m.