Fan Expo 2017 and Star Trek Discovery Spoilers follow.
During Fan Expo 2017 fans were excited to meet the cast of Star Trek Discovery and hear more about the series set to launch on September 24, 2017.
Fans ate up all news of the series including Star Trek Discovery showrunners Aaron Harberts and Gretchen J. Berg earlier teases of big plot points for the series with EW.
- (1) Two starships on the show; U.S.S. Discovery and U.S.S. Shenzhou.
- (2) Actress Sonequa Martin-Green stars as Starfleet First Officer Micheal Burham. She was was the first human to attend the Vulcan Science Academy. She us the first Star Trek lead who is not a captain.
- (3) Sarek [Spock’s father, played by James Frain] plays an important role in Burham’s life, which has been completely planned until she makes a very difficult choice that sends her life on a very different path.
- (4) When we meet Burnham, she’s the First Officer on the Starship Shenzhou [captained by Philippa Georgiou, played by Michelle Yeoh].
- (5) Burnham’s choice that we’re alluding to is most difficult choice you can make — it affects her, affects Starfleet, affects the Federation, it affects the entire universe.
- (6) That choice leads her to a different ship, the Discovery [helmed by Captain Lorca, played by Jason Isaacs] and there we begin what… [the showrunners] call our ‘second pilot.’
- (7) The advantage to her [Burnham] not being in charge of the bridge right now is we get to tell stories from a very different point of view. It’s a fresh feeling because we’re not on the bridge all the time. We get access to more parts of the ship.
- (8) The Klingons are heavily involved in the season and they’re not friendly.
- (9) CBS has allowed us to find a cinematic language that’s wider in scope — our aspect ratio is 2:1 — and it just lends itself to a very lyrical way of telling the story. And just visually speaking, there’s also a little hint in terms of what J.J. Abrams did, a little bit, in terms of some of the visuals.
As well as Actress Sonequa Martin-Green, who plays Burnham in Star Trek: Discovery, earlier teases with details to SFX.
- (10) [Burhmam is an ] xenoanthropologist, I also had another field of study while at the Vulcan Science Academy.
- (11) As an xenoanthropologist, I’m also essentially and inherently a first contact specialist as well.
- (12) I’m the only human to have gone to the Vulcan Learning Centre and the Vulcan Science Academy and excelled at that.
- (13) Since leaving the Vulcan Learning Center, Burnham has spent seven years serving aboard the USS Shenzhou.
- (14) When the Shenzhou encounter the Klingons, Burnham seems eager ot strike first. The show’s trailer have hinted that Burnham’s actions begin a war between the Federation and the Klingon Empire, which seems to lead Burnham into service as First Officer onboard the USS Discovery.
- (15) Star Trek Discovery is set 10 years prior to the five-year mission of the Enterprise in Star Trek: The Original Series.
Star Trek Discovery debuts on September 24, 2017.
Tags: Fan Expo, Fan Expo 2017, Fan Expo Canada, Fan Expo Canada 2017, Star Trek, Star Trek: Discovery