The comics industry was rocked earlier this week with news that Marvel Comics writer stalwart Brian Michael Bendis was moving to DC Comics exclusively.
Accolades and surprise washed across social media over the news from comics professionals.
Big names we expected to hear from, and we did hear from included:
- Marvel who corporately thanked BMB for his work;
- DC Comics Chief Creative Officer and President Geoff Johns who was giddy about the news;
- Marvel Chief Creative Officer and former EIC Joe Quesada who thanked BMB for his friendship;
- Marvel writing stalwart Dan Slott also paid his respect to his departing peer; and
- Marvel Senior Vice President Tom Brevoort humorously responded to the news.
While we still await comments from Marvel’s current EIC, we have heard from DC Comics Co-Publisher was understandably pleased with Brian Michael Bendis joining DC.
It’s hard to contain my excitement over Brian joining us here at DC. He has been one of the premiere talents and a driving force in comics for years. Brian at Marvel and Geoff Johns at DC helped define over a decade of superhero storytelling. Together, along with the amazing talent of Scott Snyder, Tom King and many more, DC stands ready to lead our industry and be the defining voice of comics.
Many creators fans have compared the news of Brian Michael Bendis to DC Comics to Jack Kirby’s move from Marvel to DC in 1970 or Chris Claremont making the same move decades later.
Tags: Brian Michael Bendis, Dan DiDio, DC Comics, Rebirth