- Captain America #1 – I’m a fan of Ta-Nehisi Coates’s writing (his journalism, books, and his Black Panther), and I think he’s a very interesting choice to write Captain America. I liked Nick Spencer’s work with the character, and feel that like him, Coates might be able to say something new about him. The way things are in the world, and in America in particular, it is probably time to examine what a character like Cap really means, or has the potential to mean. Coates has come a long way as a comics writer, and I think this is going to be cool.
- Star Wars #50 – Star Wars has been great since Kieron Gillen took over. I have a copy of the last Star Wars #50 Marvel put out, and it has a double cover. Does that still happen? This is totally unrelated to this comic, but it’s what I started thinking about.
Not a really big week for me quantity-wise, but a good trade and some important issues.
- Animosity Vol. 03 – Still need to read Vol. 02 and Evolution, but this will make its way to my shelf either way.
- Batman #50 – The big day! Spoilers leaked on Sunday about this issue, which I have been avoiding as best I can, via the New York Times and DC themselves (through a retweet, at least). It’s hard to tell now what the fallout from this might be, if any, I just hope it doesn’t stop readers from going to the shops who have preordered all those copies, not to mention the dozens or variants; they’ll hurt worst of all if sales don’t meet expectations.
- Batman: Thrillkiller – I’ve been waiting for a new collected edition of this for a long time, so I’m glad the wait is over.
- Catwoman #1 – I don’t like to be an “I called it!” guy, but I was certainly hoping Joelle Jones would get a Catwoman series after her first arc on Batman. I’ve been a fan of hers since she did a story in the Dr. Horrible trade a few years back, not to mention her fantastic Lady Killer series.
- The Last Siege #2 – I loved the first issue. Part Shakespearean royal-political intrigue, part Kurosawa-inspired wandering warrior, and great art from Justin Greenwood. Should be a good series.
- Star Wars #50 – Another big #50 this week!
- I Hate Fairyland #20
- Paper Girls #22
- The October Faction: Supernatural Dreams #5
- BATMAN #50 – Hard to ignore the elephant in the room. DC ended up leaking the ending to this issue to the New York Times this weekend. I really think that kind of behavior is awful to the comic business. I would rather be able to have an emotional reaction to a comic, good or bad, without knowing what’s coming. It’s just sad because Marvel did the same exact thing with the X-Men wedding a few weeks ago. Tom King has warned that the story is long continuing past the events of the issue, but I still think a lot of harm has been done here. CATWOMAN #1 is also coming out this week.
- COSMIC GHOST RIDER #1 – I actually didn’t get around to reading THANOS WINS until this week. Cosmic Ghost Rider is a futuristic version of Frank Castle with the powers of Ghost Rider and Silver Surfer. The whole concept sounds insane. But the character is just awesome, and I am really looking forward to this miniseries.
- ANT-MAN AND THE WASP #3 – I have enjoyed this mini-series, doubly so since Marvel announced that Wasp will be getting her own series again in a few months. Nadia Pym is one of my favorite new Marvel characters, and I am glad to see her getting more exposure. I am glad Marvel didn’t just make her identical to Hope from the ANT-MAN movies. I do like Hope’s character in those movies, but Nadia has a lot to offer as a new unique character.
- IMMORTAL HULK #2 – The first issue of Al Ewing’s HULK run was damn haunting. I love this very different take on the Hulk, and can’t wait to see where it goes from here.
- JIMMY’S BASTARDS #9 – One of the craziest comics I have ever read. Just about the most screwed up take on the James Bond mythos that you can imagine. I think this might be the last issue of the series, but it has been one hell of a fun ride.
- Dark Ark #8
- Saban’s Go Go Power Rangers #11
- Green Arrow #42
- Green Lanterns #50
- Justice League #3
- Man Of Steel #6 (Of 6)
- Donald And Mickey Quarterly #3
- Walt Disney’s Comics And Stories #742
- I Hate Fairyland #20
- Spawn #287
- Avengers #4
- Ben Reilly The Scarlet Spider #21
- Doctor Strange #3
- Hunt For Wolverine Weapon Lost #3 (Of 4)
- Immortal Hulk #2
- Star Wars #50
- Weapon X #20
9 books this week.
DC Nation #2
Green Arrow #42
Green Lanterns #50
Justice League #3
Man of Steel #6
Tags: Pull List Roundtable