So many modern pixel games have vague influences, or have 8-bit styles. With Battle Princess Madelyn, the developers clearly were going for a 16-bit vibe, with an art and gameplay style that is largely based on the Capcom classic Ghosts and Goblins formula.
After a crowd funding campaign and a long development window, the game is finally here on PC and consoles.
Let’s see how it stands up!
Battle Princess Madelyn is a colorful and well animated pixel art game that comes alive on the screen. The main character is well detailed and animates in a myriad of ways, and has real personality that comes through just through gameplay.
The levels are varied and run the gamet of video game places like fire, ice, cave levels plus some more unique areas as well.
The game features a robust soundtrack with great tunes that fit the graphical style. The sound effects sound great as well.
Arcade mode gallery
The game is a series of side scrolling levels, with the player shooting projectiles and using melee weapons to take out swarms of enemies. There are also platforming segments that present quite a challenge, especially in later levels.
Working in handheld mode, the game controls really well, with instant reactions to button presses even in intense areas. In addition, the game works fantastic with the Switch Pro Controller, which became my preferred way of playing it.
There are two modes to the game, arcade mode and story mode. Arcade mode is more of a straight ahead action game with levels in order. The story mode adds a heart warming story, based on real life, of Madelyn with anime-style cartoon cut scenes and some voice acting. The presentation adds a lot to the overall feeling of polish and production values.
Story mode Gallery
A charming and challenging entry into the Switch platforming library, Battle Princess Madelyn harkens back to Ghosts and Goblins and delivers a solid experience for gamers.
Battle Princess Madelyn, developed and created by Causal Bit Games, follows the journey of a young knight in training, Madelyn, and her ghostly pet dog Fritzy. They set out on a journey to save her kingdom and her family from the clutches of an evil wizard. Set in the vein of Ghouls ‘N Ghosts and Wonder Boy 3: The Dragon’s Trap, the instantly classic and familiar gameplay will transport old-school gamers back to their heyday. The self-adjusting difficulty will allow for even the most novice of gamer to pick up and play!
Join Madelyn as she battles through graveyards, swamps, castles, countryside and more! Polished gameplay, breathtaking visuals, jaw-dropping dual soundtracks and epic adventures await!
- Amazingly detailed hand drawn pixel art brought to life by the magical lighting of the Unity Engine.
- Two completely different soundtracks to suit your tastes! Classic Arcade FM/PCM to set the hectic pacing, or Modern Orchestrated to set the mood for the scene by Gryzor87 of Maldita Castilla fame!
- A mix of fast paced classic arcade action with the adventure elements of classic console games from the golden age of console gaming.
- Battle Princess Madelyn has two modes of game play: Arcade which is fast paced old school action and Story mode for the full adventure experience of questing and the battle princess!
- Find all of the collectibles hidden throughout the stages for extra rewards, and additional hidden stages!
- 10 levels, each of which include up to 5 stages – some of which branch!
- Masses of upgradable weapons that depend on your armor in arcade mode, or having the upgraded at the blacksmith in story mode!
- Special weapons for special occasions and some of these grant access to secret areas!
- An original story written by a professional children’s author.