For a full list of this week’s releases, head to ComicList: The New Comic Book Releases List.
Two of my absolute favourite comics teams are returning this week!
- Alpha Flight: True North #1 – This is a one-off featuring a few stories by Canadian creators. I’m always happy to see these characters back, but would rather see a serious approach to this classic team that incorporates its various reboots, but instead expect this to be jokey and lightweight. Still getting it though…
- Legion of Super-Heroes Millennium #1 – I feel pretty anxious about Brian Michael Bendis being the guy to bring the Legion back. I’m currently rereading the classic Levitz/Giffen run, and am so impressed with the amount of character development they managed to pack into even action-filled issues. Bendis is not a proven quantity for that, but at the same time, I’m just excited to see these characters again.
- I’m also looking forward to new issues of Berserker Unbound, Deathstroke, Die, Fallen World, House of X, Immortal Hulk, Punisher, Sea of Stars, Star Wars, and The Wicked + The Divine (last issue!)
- I’ve heard that Supergirl #33 features the Legion, but it’s not in the solicits. Should I be getting this too?
Mike Maillaro: Long story short, Superman and Supergirl were recalled from comic shops last month because their covers were incorrect. They were labelled as Year of the Villain, and they were not supposed to be. The revised covers for both had Legion logos on the lower right corner. Superman did come out this week, but I have not read it yet to say what kind of role Legion have in the issue.
Fulton: The Legion shows up at the end. I picked it up, and the last pages were the only ones that made sense to me. But I also knew that #15 is solicited as featuring the Legion. I’m just now sure what the deal with Supergirl is. I’ll give it a look at the store next week.
Maillaro: Yeah, I suspect it will be very similar to Superman 14 then.
- Supergirl #33 and Legion Of Super-Heroes Millennium #1 – We got a quick glimpse of the Legion in last week’s Superman #14. I liked the idea of the new origin for the United Planets. I am a huge Legion fan, and I think Bendis has a great take here. Between House of X and this, I am very excited for this week’s comics.
- House of X #4 – The last few weeks, my Wednesday morning ritual has been “log on to Comixology” download the newest issue of House of X and Powers of X, and read it before doing anything else. Before I get dressed for work. Before I take the dog out. Before everything. That is just how excited I am for each issue. Last issue of House of X, it looked like Cyclops and his team got all blown up. Great cliffhanger, and hopefully we only had to wait a week to see what happened. LOVE HICKMAN’s X-MEN!!
- Spawn #300 – This is a pretty big deal! Todd Macfarlane has been pointing to Cerebus 300 for a while and aiming to pass it. BUUUTTTTT…I do have to point out that Gold Digger has been going for 266 issues for current series, 50 issues for the prior B+W series, and 4 issues for the original mini-series. AND Fred Perry has written and drawn every issue himself as far as I know. So don’t quite believe all the publicity about Spawn being the longest running indy series ever. Again, this is not taking anything away from Spawn. I buy Spawn every month, and I have really enjoyed the current arc.
- Alpha Flight True North and Amazing Spider-Man Going Big #1 – I have been enjoying these specials from Marvel for the 80th Anniversary. Last week’s Power Pack special was awesome. Happy to see Alpha Flight back and Eric Larsen on Spider-Man is always a treat. Marvel needs to do more like this!
- Justice League #31 – The return of the JSA last week was a great surprise. Justice League finally seems to be back among DC’s top books for me. It’s been a long time since I was this excited to read Justice League!
- Dark Red #6
- Descendent #5
- Midnight Vista #1
- Archie #707
- Archie And Friends Back To School #1
- Berserker Unbound #2 (Of 4)
- Wyrd #4
- Batman Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III #5 (Of 6)
- Batman Vs Ra’s al Ghul #1 (Of 6)
- DCeased A Good Day To Die #1
- Deathstroke #47
- Doomsday Clock #11 (Of 12)
- Dreaming #13
- Green Lantern #11
- Harley Quinn #65
- Lois Lane #3 (Of 12)
- Superman Up In The Sky #3 (Of 6)
- Marvel Action Spider-Man #8
- Sonic The Hedgehog Tangle And Whisper #2 (Of 4)
- Usagi Yojimbo #4
- Curse Words #24
- Die #7
- Sea Of Stars #3
- Space Bandits #3 (Of 5)
- Agents Of Atlas #2 (Of 5)
- Champions #9
- Conan The Barbarian #9
- Fantastic Four #14
- Future Foundation #2
- Ghost-Spider Annual #1
- Immortal Hulk #23
- Punisher #15
- Savage Avengers #5
- Star Wars #71
- Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order Dark Temple #1 (Of 5)
- Web Of Black Widow #1 (Of 5)
- Fallen World #5 (Of 5)
- Doomsday Clock 11 – this title has been consistently good and I’m anxious to see what happens in this issue. I’ll take the delays if it results in a
7 books this week
- Charlie’s Angels vs. The Bionic Woman #3
- Deathstroke #47
- Doomsday Clock #11
- Fallen World #5
- Justice League #31
- Legion of Super-Heroes Millennium #1
- Supergirl #33
Tags: Alpha Flight, Brian Michael Bendis, Doomsday Clock, Eric Larsen, House of X, Jonathan Hickman, JSA, Justice League, Legion of Super-Heroes, Powers of X, Spawn