For a full list of these releases, head to ComicList: The New Comic Book Releases List.
Small week. Only 3 books this week.
- Nightwing #70
- Robin 80th Anniversary 100-Page Super Spectacular #1
- Year Of The Villain Hell Arisen #4
A good week to be shut in!
I’m looking forward to new issues of Alienated, Ascender, Bang!, Black Stars Above, Captain America, Die! Die! Die!, Family Tree, Grendel: Devil’s Odyssey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Star Wars, Tartarus, Undiscovered Country, Undone by Blood, Valkyrie: Jane Foster, Vampirella, and X-Force.
Babos: How’s Grendel?
Fulton: Late! But aside from that, I like it. Wagner’s on his world building tip, creating new worlds for Grendel Prime to explore. It’s creative and fast moving. Wagner’s art is as good as it’s ever been.
Babos: Is this the finale of his long-running story?
Fulton: Maybe? It takes place a few centuries after the War Child mini-series.
One thing I like about Grendel is that there are infinite places for new stories along a very long timeline.
Babos: Different folks under the mask for each series?
Fulton: There were a few Grendels in the original run, and then the War Child mini introduced the Grendel Prime cyborg.
Any crossovers with other properties, like Batman, always feature Hunter Rose, my least favourite.
Babos: I think you should do Grendel as your next retro review series! 🙂
Fulton: I’d love to. I don’t have every issue or the Omnibus collections.
I would like to reread the Tim Sale/Emperor Assante run again though…
Mike Maillaro: The Omnibuses used to go on sale all the time. I got the first three for like 8 bucks each a while back. Ever since the fourth one came out they haven’t dropped since
Fulton: I think that those four were all of the Wagner stories. No Grendel Tales.
Maillaro: I actually forgot they did the Grendel Tales Omnibuses. I am pretty sure I have those too but never got around to reading them.
Fulton: Maybe you should do a retro review. This is the time to tackle some unread stacks!
Maillaro: I genuinely wanna get back into writing and I had pitched Babos a series of retro columns. But I just have not had the time to focus and write.
- Spider-Woman #1 – I know a lot of people mock the fact that Bendis seemed to obsess over giving Spider-Woman a spotlight all the time, but I have to admit, it really worked for me. I never cared about the character until Bendis started giving her a bigger role, and now I consider myself a fan. The evolution of Spider-Woman has been one of my favorite things about Marvel comics the last few years, and I am real curious to see what they do with her in this new series.
- Outlawed #1 – It’s really hard for me to see this as something other than Civil War all over again. Young heroes being outlawed from being heroes. I do like a lot of Marvel’s young heroes, so I will likely check this out anyway, but the story doesn’t particularly appeal to me.
- Robin 80th Anniversary 100-Page Super Spectacular #1 – Pretty crazy that Robin has been around 80 years. He doesn’t look a day over 14! I love these anniversary books that DC puts out. The $10 price tag is always rough, but they are well-worth it.
- Mighty Morphin Power Rangers Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #4 – Last issue we found out the Power Rangers were unable to tap into their powers…so Zordon is forced to give their powers to a different group of teenagers with attitude, the TMNT. This has been exactly as fun as you would expect it to be. Amazed it took so long for us to get this, but it’s been awesome.
- Batman #91 – This story has been a little slow to develop, but I have to admit that I really enjoyed the reveal last issue. It was a pretty cool way to show the shift in tone in comics over the years. It took a little while to get there, but I think I am finally starting to feel hooked on Batman again.
- Grendel Devil’s Odyssey #4 (Of 8) – I agree with everything James said above. The world building in this book has been outstanding. More Wagner is always a good thing, especially in this wild and crazy Grendel universe.
- Dragonfly And Dragonflyman #5 (Of 5)
- DCeased Unkillables #2 (Of 3)
- He-Man And The Masters Of The Multiverse #5 (Of 6)
- Justice League #43
- Nightwing #70
- Teen Titans #40
- Year Of The Villain Hell Arisen #4 (Of 4)
- Usagi Yojimbo #9
- Family Tree #5
- Middlewest #16
- Undiscovered Country #5
- 2020 Iron Age #1
- 2020 Machine Man #2 (Of 2)
- Amazing Mary Jane #6
- Captain Marvel #16
- Conan The Barbarian #14
- Excalibur #9
- Fantastic Four #20
- Ghost-Spider #8
- Guardians Of The Galaxy #3
- Morbius #5
- Runaways #31
- Star Wars #4
- Valkyrie Jane Foster #9
- X-Force #9
Tags: Pull List Roundtable