Are you ready for Gamera this summer? There’s probably a lot fans of Mystery Science Theater 3000 and the Creature Double Feature eager for what is shaping up to be the monstrous for the friend of all childrem. Gamera was the turtle answer to Godzilla’s lizard. After last year’s massive Godzilla: The Showa-Era Films, 1954–1975, Gamera is getting an even larger event boxset with Gamera: The Complete Collection. This collection includes the original 8 films that came out from 1965 to 1980. There’s also the memorable Gamera: Guardian of the Universe trilogy from the ’90s. Finally there’s 2006’s Gamera the Brave. Along with the movies on Blu-ray, there’s going to be two books in the box. The collection is slated for release around July 28. But you can never tell with the way things are going in the world with the pandemic. Here’s the press release from Arrow Video on all the turtle fun:
The original hero in a half-shell returns! For the first time ever worldwide, all twelve tales of the adventures of everyone’s favourite titanic terrapin are collected together in one deluxe Blu-ray boxset. This limited edition collectors’ set traces the decades-long evolution of Gamera, from the “friend of all children” in his more light-hearted earlier films, to the Guardian of the Universe in the groundbreaking 1990s reboot series, often hailed as three of the best kaiju films ever made.
Number of Discs: 8
Audio: 1.0 / 2.0 / 5.1
Aspect Ratio: 1.85:1 / 2.35:1
Colour: B&W / Colour
• Limited collectors’ edition packaging, housed in a large-format rigid box, fully illustrated by Matt Frank
• All twelve uncut original Japanese versions of the films in high definition, with lossless Japanese and English audio
• 4K restorations of the critically acclaimed Heisei trilogy (Gamera the Guardian of the Universe, Gamera 2: Attack of Legion, Gamera 3: Revenge of Iris)
• Hours of new and archive bonus features, expert commentaries (including August Ragone, David Kalat, and Steve Ryfle & Ed Godziszewski), interviews with cast and crew, and the worldwide Blu-ray premiere of Gammera The Invincible (the American theatrical version of the first film)
• Hardback 120-page comic book including a full-color reprint of the four-issue Gamera comic series originally released by Dark Horse Comics in 1996, and the first-ever English-language printing of the prequel comic “The Last Hope” by Matt Frank and Joshua Bugosh
• Perfect-bound 80-page book including a new retrospective on the series by Patrick Macias, kaiju X-ray illustrations by Jolyon Yates, and much more!
FINAL SPECS TO BE CONFIRMED SOON
Tags: Arrow Video, Gamera, Mystery Science Theater 3000