(Sidenote: Sorry this is late, and that there was no 10 Thoughts last week, had a couple of emergencies come up. Also, I have not read the results for Night of Champions yet.)
Welcome to another edition of 10 Thoughts on Smackdown! Tonight is being billed as “Edge Appreciation Night”, and seeing as how Edge is one of my favorite performers of all time, I’m going to be paying close attention tonight, and perhaps a little more critical than usual. Just a heads-up, so…
1. WWE proved this week that they must feel that Daniel Bryan doesnâ€™t need any kind of momentum since he has the Money in the Bank briefcase. However, the cheers that he got in his introduction tell me that Bryanâ€™s getting over with the fansâ€¦which is really good, in my opinion. All he needs is a few good wins, then he will be a more credible threat for the World Heavyweight Championship. Sin Cara v. Sin Caraâ€¦I think Sin Caraâ€™s going over in this one! No, seriously thoughâ€¦I donâ€™t know if Iâ€™m crazy about this â€œfeudâ€ or not. It didnâ€™t work well when Undertaker did it, nor when Kane did it. The only reason I can think of for Creative to do this is to gauge fan reactions: is Mistico worth keeping around? Itâ€™s almost guaranteed that Hunico has a job waiting for him if they want to give him his own characterâ€¦seems like itâ€™s Misticoâ€™s job on the line here.
2. Michael Coleâ€™s becoming more and more of a detriment to the commentary team. I donâ€™t know if this is WWEâ€™s direction for him, if itâ€™s discomfort in a three-man team position, or if itâ€™s just him working too hard (or intentionally messing up), but whatever it isâ€¦itâ€™s hurting the presentation.
3. Did anyone else have flashbacks when Trish walked in? As in a few years ago when HHH had her in a similar position?? That was the ONLY thing that made the segment watchable, otherwise itâ€™s another way to get Aksana on TV. Does ANYONE know if she can go in the ring, or is she just another piece of eye candy????
4. Question for the smarks: Is it possible for a Diva to become a JTTS? Thatâ€™s what it looks like AJâ€™s going to become. Kaitlyn isnâ€™t too far behind either. But waitâ€¦if theyâ€™re making certain Divas to be jobbersâ€¦does that mean WWEâ€™s going to start caring about the Womenâ€™s Division again?? Hmmmmmâ€¦.
5. Of course there had to be some Edge/Christian interaction. From what I saw, it looks like Edge might be making some more appearances to work an angle with Christianâ€¦I donâ€™t see it being a match, but Iâ€™d bet anything that this is going somewhereâ€¦
6. Greatâ€¦now Sheamus is spouting off LIMERICKS! HA! It hasnâ€™t changed his work in the ring, and fans are still taking him seriously, but itâ€™s still taking some time getting used to his change in attitudeâ€¦and did Booker name drop the Big Boss Man?? NICE!!! The tag team match was as formulaic as it getsâ€¦kind of bland, but it sets up for some possibilities for all four participants. Sidenote: I think Christianâ€™s being booked the way he is because theyâ€™re trying to make Christian hated. This just hit me as I heard some â€œChristianâ€ chants after the match when he tried to ambush Sheamus. Would anyone else mark out if someone name dropped â€œCLBâ€ to Christian???
7. So the Jinder Mahal/Great Khali experiment ended this weekâ€¦good. That pairing was getting zero heat, as no one seems to care about Mahal. It will likely end up extending a program with the two against each other, but I donâ€™t think itâ€™s going to go so well, in the ring or out of it.
8. The Cutting Edge showed that Edge can still be as smarmy as they come, and it also showed a good brawl to end Smackdown, and I think it shows that Mark Henry may just be ready for the main event. I could be wrong, but as Iâ€™ve said over the past few weeks, heâ€™s improved greatly.
9. Is it just me, or does Booker T say â€œOh my goodness!â€ almost as much as Vince McMahon used to say â€œUnbelievable!â€?
10. Joeâ€™s Food For Thought: On Raw, HHH said that all it took for a wrestler to be successful was to get over with the fans, which CM Punk responded with, â€œAre you listening right now?â€ The question isâ€¦is HHH right? This is actually a twofold question for this week for you all to consider: is he right, and is CM Punk right? If indeed all one has to do is to be over with the fans, is WWE listening? My opinion? If they were, John Cena would have been either turned or bumped down the card a long time ago, for example. At the same time, they seemed to be listening at Money in the Bank, as that pay-per-view got more hype than most others have in recent years. I think they do at times, but at times they drop the ball on that part. Iâ€™d like to get some other thoughts on thisâ€¦
I was kind of disappointed with this episode, but the ending was good. I felt like some of the matches could have been a little better, but it’s nitpicking. Maybe it’s just that I liked Edge so much that I’d raised the bar a little higher than usual, but if it wasn’t billed as “Edge Appreciation Night”, I would have been okay with this episode. All in all, an okay send-off into the Night of Champions PPV.
Until next time…
Tags: 10 Thoughts, 10 thoughts on Smackdown, Smackdown, WWE, WWE Friday Night Smackdown, WWE Smackdown