More details of the Ryan Braun signing, Ian Kennedy gets called up as I post his Coming Soon…, a best free agent signing article, and the rest of the usual stuff.
PIT 11 STL 5
SD 0 CHN 4
HOU 8 SF 7
LAN 7 MIL 2
WAS 1 NYN 0
ATL 0 PHI 5
COL 5 ARI 8
OAK 2 CLE 4
TOR 3 MIN 2
DET 4 KC 8
NYA 2 TB 5
CHA 4 LAA 3
Rocky Cherry sent to the minors for rehabilitation.
Jim Edmonds signed as a free agent; Felix Pie sent to the minors.
Ryan Speier placed on the DL (15-day, bruised right rotator cuff); Josh Newman called up from the minors.
David Riske placed on the DL (15-day, hyperextended right elbow); Ryan Braun signed to a 7 year extension (2008-2015).
New York Yankees
Kei Igawa sent to the minors; Ian Kennedy called up from the minors.
San Francisco Giants
Kevin Frandsen transferred to the 60-Day DL; Alex Hinshaw purchased from the minors; Merkin Valdez placed on the DL (15-day, strained right elbow).
Nick Johnson placed on the DL (15-day, torn tendon, right wrist – out 4-6 weeks); Dmitri Young removed from the DL.
Yesterdays Rumors from MLB Trade Rumors
– Ryan Braun signs an extension – I wrote about it yesterday, but here are a few notes I didn’t have: $2.3MM signing bonus to go on top of this year salaray ($455K), an escalator clause that increases the full package to $51MM is he become a “Super-2” player (arbitration a year early due to service time, which is not expected to happen), and a full no trade clause for the first 4 years of the deal.
– Walt Jocketty hasn’t talked to any other teams about trading Ken Griffey Jr.
– The Pirates gave the Rays cash to keep Rule V draftee Evan Meek in their organization.
– Scott Dohmann was DFA by the Rays.
– Glendon Rusch was also DFA by the Padres and declined his minor league assignment – he’s now a free agent. The Rockies are interested.
– The Giants are saying they won’t be seller this season.
– Bidding for Dominican teenager Michel Inoa could get as high as $6MM; the Yankees and Mariners are both in on him.
– The D’Backs could trade Chad Tracy once he’s healthy.
– The Padres are expecting to start selling players soon.
– Julio Lugo will probably be traded by the Red Sox after the season.
– The Red Sox made relievers Javier Lopez and David Aardsma available, but will hang onto Aardsma since Julian Tavarez was DFA.
– The Brewers made a push for Tavarez, but will probably use Jeff Weaver instead; owner Mark Attanasio has given the ok to expand payroll for a pitching trade.
– Rafael Furcal is willing to talk extension with the Dodgers.
– The Rockies could trade Matt Holliday since they don’t think they can sign him to an extension. Brian Fuentes and Garrett Atkins are also mentioned.
– The Astros haven’t ruled out bringing back Roger Clemens – once his legal issues are cleaned up.
– Tanner Scheppers has a stress fracture in his shoulder. He’s on of the top draft prospects and this could drop him out of the top 10 players taken.
Around the Web
Top Prospect Alert’s Top MiLB Performances.
BA Prospect Blog
All Star Voting
Griffey has some fun paying debt.
The Best Free Agent Signings.
Pittsburgh Pirates at Chicago Cubs, 2:20 PM
Tom Gorzelanny (3-3) vs Sean Gallagher (0-0)
Milwaukee Brewers at Boston Red Sox, 7:05 PM
Jeff Suppan (2-2) vs Daisuke Matsuzaka (6-0)
Toronto Blue Jays at Philadelphia Phillies, 7:05 PM
David Purcey (0-0) vs Jamie Moyer (2-3)
Washington Nationals at Baltimore Orioles, 7:05 PM
Shawn Hill (0-0) vs Garrett Olson (2-0)
New York Mets at New York Yankees, 7:05 PM
Johan Santana (4-2) vs Darrell Rasner (2-0)
Kansas City Royals at Florida Marlins, 7:10 PM
Brett Tomko (1-4) vs Andrew Miller (3-2)
Cleveland Indians at Cincinnati Reds, 7:10 PM
Jeremy Sowers (0-0) vs Johnny Cueto (2-4)
Oakland Athletics at Atlanta Braves, 7:35 PM
Dana Eveland (3-3) vs Jair Jurrjens (4-3)
Houston Astros at Texas Rangers, 8:05 PM
Shawn Chacon (0-0) vs Sidney Ponson (2-0)
Tampa Bay Rays at St. Louis Cardinals, 8:15 PM
Andy Sonnanstine (5-1) vs Braden Looper (5-2)
Minnesota Twins at Colorado Rockies, 9:05 PM
Nick Blackburn (3-2) vs Ubaldo Jimenez (1-3)
Detroit Tigers at Arizona Diamondbacks, 9:40 PM
Jeremy Bonderman (2-4) vs Dan Haren (4-2)
Los Angeles Dodgers at Los Angeles Angels, 10:05 PM
Hiroki Kuroda (1-2) vs Joe Saunders (6-1)
San Diego Padres at Seattle Mariners, 10:10 PM
Chris Young (3-3) vs Miguel Batista (3-4)
Chicago White Sox at San Francisco Giants, 10:15 PM
Gavin Floyd (3-2) vs Jonathan Sanchez (2-2)