Cop shows have been done to death, along with law shows. But that doesn’t stop the big TV networks from debuting 3 or 4 or more of each every year. They are always trying to twist something to make it seem like its an original idea, though. NBC’s attempt at twisting the cop show formula is by having a show created by CSI creator, Jerry Bruckheimer, that is all about a group of U.S. Marshalls in Texas. Chase is the name of the show, but should you run out and watch it yourself?
Here is the synopsis of Chase straight from NBC:
“Chase is a fast-paced drama from Emmy Award-winning executive producer Jerry Bruckheimer (“CSI” franchise, “The Amazing Race,” “Pirates of the Caribbean” films) and executive producer Jennifer Johnson (“Cold Case”) that drops viewers smack into the middle of a game of cat-and-mouse as a team of U.S. marshals hunts down America’s most dangerous fugitives. Kelli Giddish (“Past Life”) stars as U.S. Marshal Annie Frost, a cowboy boot-wearing deputy whose sharp mind and unique Texas upbringing help her track down the violent criminals on the run. ”
My First 10 Thoughts on the “Pilot” Episode of Chase:
1. An ethnically diverse cast.
2. Of course, that sets up all the characters as stereotypes.
3. The Texas setting is different for a television show, if you haven’t watch Lonestar.
4. The action scenes were good, and there was a lot of them.
5. Not much else, except for the occasional jokes between the team of U.S. Marshalls.
6. Kelli Giddish wasn’t the most engaging female star. She was just decent enough.
7. The eventual romance between Giddish’s Annie Frost character and one of her teammates, Jimmy Godfrey (played by Cole Hauser) is pretty predictable. The same for teammates Marco Martinez (played by Amaury Nolasco of Prison Break fame) and Daisy Ogbaa (played by Rose Rollins).
8. Jesse Metcalfe is apparently only there for “eye candy” for the ladies, just like on Desperate Housewives.
9. Everything is pretty much about the chase and that is it.
10. Chase is mindless entertainment if you just want to see “cops” chase bad guys around all the time, but you can easily skip watching this show and not miss a thing.
Tags: Chase, CSI, Desperate Housewives, Jerry Bruckheimer, Pirates of the Caribbean, Prison Break, The Amazing Race