Drink a gallon of wine and play a little Penny Can in celebration, because Cougar Town is back! After an all-new episode last night (following a creepily patriotic episode of Dancing With The Stars…why was everyone dressed like Uncle Sam in drag?) we’re getting another all-new episode this week during the regular Wednesday night timeslot. And frankly, I couldn’t be happier.
If you’re a fan of Community and wonder if you should watch Cougar Town because Abed likes it, the answer is yes. If you’re a fan of warmhearted comedy and wonder if you should watch Cougar Town because it’s a great warmhearted comedy, the answer is yes. If you’re a fan of either of those things but wonder if you should skip out on Cougar Town because you don’t care about old women sleeping with lots of young dudes, the answer is that the show is poorly named. And they know it. No matter what, the answer is watch this show.
I don’t like writing full reviews of Cougar Town, so instead I offer you five things I loved about the return episode.
- Peeeennnnny Caaaaaaaan! I love when Laurie and Bobby team up, and what better project for them that promoting Penny Can as a product? Laurie’s commercial was absolutely hilarious. And tied to this, is the main thing I love – inside jokes. The inside jokes on Cougar Town make you feel like you’re actually part of the cul-de-sac crew. “Slap out of it!” and drawn-on mustaches when a penny goes in and out? So much fun!
- I love how Grayson still isn’t quite part of the gang. When everyone agreed to change the meaning of “That kicks ass” from positive to negative (is DOES make more sense) Grayson still wasn’t on board. I also liked the stuff with him and Andy trying to escape the giant, scary man.
- I love Jules’ relationship with Travis. Yeah, yeah, everyone says she’s incredibly overbearing. And she is. But I wouldn’t want Travis to propose to that uptight girlfriend of his either! He’s like, eighteen! I liked how Ellie called Jules out on being TOO involved in Travis’s life, though. Those two have such an awesome friendship. Christa Miller was really great in this episode.
- Like her belief in the truck ghost! I’m so glad Ellie still has that pickup truck, and I cannot tell you how hard I laughed when they revealed that Jules was the one messing with Ellie. If it wasn’t for stuff like this, I’d worry that Ellie had too much power in her friendship with Jules. This reminds you that they’re actually on pretty even ground, even if Jules is super emotional and Ellie is lovably icy.
- And my absolute favorite thing? The fact that “imaginary hat” STILL hasn’t caught on within the group! Love love love. I have introduced it into my own life. I could totes be friends with Ellie.
What did you think of “Walls”? Are you as happy as I am to have this show back in our lives?
Tags: Cougar Town