This is my projected list of the top 15 defenses in the league, based on last season’s statistics, schedule, team positions, and previous depth chart. This list is subject to change as a result of trades, depth chart changes, and injuries as I see fit. This is a discussion board from the mind of a fantasy football player. This is my take on the coming season to help you better your fantasy game. Let’s get started:
1. Pittsburg Steelers: The Steelers were the league leaders in defensive scoring last year(without Polomalu for most of it). They have always been known for their incredible defense, and now with a healthy Troy Polomalu, this defense is the one, in my eyes, to beat.
2. Green Bay Packers: This is another high octane scoring machine for fantasy owners to invest in. Names like, A.J. Hawk, Charles Woodson, Clay Matthews Jr., and Nick Collins, it is difficult to think that any offense can score on this squad.
3. New York Jets: The Jets and Rex Ryan are known for hard hitting, smash mouth defense. Another top squad with dynamic game changing moments, and hardcore run stopping, the Jets will be a tremendous threat to any rushing game in the league.
4. Baltimore Ravens: They have been a unprecedented force in the NFL for the last 10 years. Ed Reed and Ray Lewis lead the charge and once they hit you, you remember it. Their defense has been a crown jewel to their franchise, and if you’re still not sold, know that last year, they had 19 interceptions and 27 sacks.
5. Chicago Bears: Da Bears, even though they sustained heavy injuries to their defense last year, were still the fifth highest scoring defense fantasy wise last season. Knowing that players like Brian Urlacher will be back on roster, one can understand the sheer dominance that they bring to the table.
6. Atlanta Falcons: The Falcons last year had 31 sacks and 22 interceptions, and were one of the top scoring defenses, helping them to win the division title over the Saints. With the same core coming in, and a little young blood from the draft, this will be a tight rush stopping defense.
7. New England Patriots: The Patriots, who have drafted a defensive player in the first round year after year, always has young talented blood on their defense. The interceptions leader at 25, this defense will look for the pick-6 every play. Watch out for Devin McCourty
8. Philadelphia Eagles: With 39 sacks and 23 interceptions, this was a solid defense last year that, however, gave up 377 points by the end of the season. Despite that, they were a strong fantasy points team, which is all you need for your team.
9. Minnesota Vikings: Although they did not have the season defensively that they had come to be used to, they are a talented line, filled with playmakers like Jared Allen. Expect this team to show their dominance in 2011.
10. New York Giants: Nearing the top of the sacks column with 46, expect the incredible pair that is Justin Tuck and Osi Umenyora to break the frontline and drop that QB. The rush game will suffer at the hands of these two behemoths.
11. New Orleans Saints: The Saints defense allowed only 307 points last year and accumulated 33 sacks. Over the years, the Saints have developed a great pass defense, and it will only continue as the move into 2011.
12. Oakland Raiders: Throughout their history, the Raiders are known for their smash mouth defense and tight frontline. Combined with their incredible corner back squad, expect the Raiders this year to hang with the best of the league.
13. San Diego Chargers: This was a very good unit last season with the offense helping make them look good. The addition of Bob Sanders should help as well.
14. San Francisco 49ers: First, they have a weak division, so take that into account. They are a talented core, but with issues that continued throughout the season they underachieved their potential. Expect a return of their tight knit defense.
15. Detroit Lions: The more I think about the combination of Nick Fairley an Ndamakong Suh, the more it disturbs me. That is a sick frontline, with the potential to shut down even Adrian Peterson(we’ll figure that one out because they are to meet twice). Don’t underestimate their power up front.
Some sleepers to look at early to mid-season
1. Dallas Cowboys
2. Tampa Bay Buccaneers
3. Cincinnati Bengals
4. Miami Dolphins
5. Kansas City Chiefs
My to finish my player rankings, I will post after this the Top 15 kickers.
Tags: fantasy football, NFL